Disability handbook?!? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability handbook?!?

Options
Tegan
Tegan Community member Posts: 17 Connected

Is there likely a disability handbook or something?!?! I woke up disabled on 10th March and I’m contemplating suicide as I’m so lost on what to do 

Adult care services did an assessment, got a extra banister put in, chair I’m shower, fire services checked house and they sent me a leaflet on home deliveries.

Mental health nurse came round assess me, said needed help - then never did anything 

I have had to use a credit card to get mobility aids so I can leave the house for appointments 

I’m about to lose my job as been off sick for other 8 months so under capability I’m up for dismissal 

I applied for access to work grant but heard nothing.

How do you get registered disabled?? I have a disability bus pass for epilepsy but I can’t find anywhere online where it says who declares you disabled?? I have seen multiple consultants and been undiagnosed, I’m dealing with a lot of gas lighting from doctors, but without a diagnosis it seems impossible to get help, physically or mentally.

I live alone, and struggling but where is the help??

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome 

There is no longer any such thing as being registered as disabled 

Under the equality act a definition of a disability is any physical or mental impairment that significantly affects your ability to do daily tasks that is likely to last for 12 months or more 

Proof of disability is not required in most situations but claiming pip or other disability benefits is often used to establish a disability 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Tegan

Thank you for making this post and speaking so honestly about how you feel, I really appreciate it. It can be hard to talk about what you are going through but I hope that on some level getting it out there helps, and of course the community will be as supportive as we can.

Firstly, if you are feeling suicidal and think that you might not be able to keep yourself safe, you should contact 999 right away or attend your nearest A&E. It's important that you speak to somebody and seek support for those feelings, and you can also access resources such as this one from mind that detail how to cope with suicidal thoughts.

When was the last time you heard from the mental health nurse? Have you considered chasing them up about the support they were going to arrange? Additionally, are you in contact with your GP about your mental health? I would suggest getting in touch with them and talking about how you are feeling at the moment, to see if they can help at all.

You can also access support through the following avenues:
    • Samaritans, by calling 116 123
    • The Shout service, by texting "Shout" to 85258
    Regarding becoming registered as disabled, as mentioned above there is no official way of doing this anymore, but there are ways that you can get proof of your disability or health condition. You could get a written letter from a GP or other health professional that detail your conditions and how they impact you, or you could get something like the Access Card, which is mainly used to access events like concerts, cinemas and theme parks, and is accepted as proof of disability by an increasing number of places.

Proving a disability is not, and should not, be required in many circumstances, however I can understand your willingness to have some proof to hand. 

Again regarding Access to Work, have you chased them up? I do know they are experiencing quite long delays at the moment, so that might be one of the reasons you haven't heard back.

I have sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk with further information.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tegan
    Tegan Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
    Thank your replies. I have just applied for an Access card.

my main problem is I’m undiagnosed for the most part, I have binders and files fall of letters, mri results, X-rays but nothing yet says exactly what’s wrong with me. They just confirm symptoms, like chronic fatigue and pain.

I emailed adult care services yesterday trying to track down the mental health nurse but they don’t have a record of her so who on earth did I let in my house and give all my personal information too?!? 

Spoke with GP, trying new pain medication but still avoiding discussion of my mental health other than saying ‘remember there is alway hope’ before ending the call with me.

I just feel like I’m disappearing from the world despite screaming I’m here! Help me!

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Tegan

Thanks for your reply, I'm glad to hear you applied for the Access Card, hopefully you hear back about that soon.

Hopefully you will be able to get that diagnosis at some point in the future, I imagine it must be quite frustrating to not have that clarity.

Strange that they don't have a record of the mental health nurse. Could you try arranging with them to send somebody else over to carry out another assessment, if they have no record of the previous one?

Tegan said:

Spoke with GP, trying new pain medication but still avoiding discussion of my mental health other than saying ‘remember there is alway hope’ before ending the call with me.

With this last bit, do you mean your GP is avoiding discussion of your mental health? Is it something you are trying to bring up but they aren't enabling you to discuss it?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness