Mobility issues — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobility issues

Options
Treevey1314777
Treevey1314777 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, i have recently fallen down the stairs and broken both of my ankles. I’ve been in hospital for a week now and am looking to get out within the next week, although, the nhs has not got any wheelchairs available. I thought about hiring a one but it turned out to be more expensive than I thought. Has anyone got any ideas on how to get myself mobile as I’m going insane being stuck in a hospital bed all of the time. I am autistic and have adhd as well as severe mental health issues. I’m just stuck as to what to do so I can have some independence and the ability to move myself out of stressful situations to calm down. The only way I can think of doing this is to have a wheelchair but I don’t know where to start. Any information and advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

You can often find second hand chairs on selling sites like Facebook,  ebay  gumtree 

British Red Cross may also have some available 

Have you discussed this with hospital staff or physio as they should be able to sort this issue 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Treevey1314777

Welcome to the community, it's nice to see you join us. 

Sorry to hear about the fall, however I'm glad to hear you have support from the hospital and are on the road to recovery. I can understand why your mobility is such a concern, and I hope the above reply has been helpful.

You mentioned having "severe" mental health issues, do you receive support to manage those?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness