Hi, my name is aphill24 I have a PIP telephone assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is aphill24 I have a PIP telephone assessment

aphill24
aphill24 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have a pip telephone assessment next Thursday. Looking for help for my assessment here as I'm new to this. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

There is lots of information in our pip section you may find useful 

Have a copy of your application with you and read it before.  Don't give just yes or no answers give full details to explain how you are affected against the descriptors 

Good luck let us know how you get on 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,097 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Hi @aphiii24 - & welcome to the community. If you have kept a copy of your initial claim form, 'How your disability affects you,' have a read through it, as mentioned above.
     - Ideally you should have given 1 or 2 recent, detailed examples of the difficulty you face doing/attempting each applicable activity/descriptor that is looked at with PIP, i.e. when exactly did this occur, where, what exactly happened, why did you have difficulty, did anyone else see this, & were there any consequences to this, if applicable?
     - have a look at the PIP descriptors in this link, & please also read the notes at the end. The word 'reliably,' which is so important, isn't mentioned, but it's if you can't do an activity safely, to an acceptable standard, if you can't repeat it as often as would normally be expected, or if it takes you longer than a person without your disability. If you can't do an activity 'reliably,' say so, explaining why. Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Personal-Independence-Payment-Descriptors-and-Scores-April-2021.pdf
     - now, looking back at the above 2 points, identify any gaps where you didn't give detailed examples as to the difficulty you've faced in relation to the PIP activities/descriptors in your initial claim form. Your phone assessment is an opportunity to redress that, if this is the case.
     - you may be asked questions which you feel don't directly address the PIP descriptors, yet they will, sometimes looking across a few, e.g. do you drive, do you have a pet?
    - if you're unsure about any question, just ask for it to be repeated. Take your time in answering, & don't just answer yes or no.
    - make sure your phone is fully charged, & if you'd like someone there to support you, put your phone on speaker phone so they can listen in. Good luck.
  • aphill24
    Thanks all I had an accident and cut off my fingers above the knuckle in June. My little finger has been fused so I can’t bend it now from the last joint and my thumb was untouched thankfully. It’s my right hand and I am right handed so find it very difficult to do certain tasks reliably. 
    I can drive okay so mobility is not an issue. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @aphill24

Welcome to the community, I hope you are well today.

I hope the above replies have been helpful, and I wish you the very best with your assessment. I have moved your discussion over to our PIP category, which you also might like to browse for similar subjects.

Sorry to hear about the accident from earlier this year.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • aphill24
  • MrJackT
    MrJackT Community member Posts: 126 Courageous
    Good luck with your assessment! I didn’t have a copy of my answers from the application that I sent in, this was purely because I knew everything I wanted to say.  Make sure you tell them everything! If you have a copy of your application form that you sent to PIP then it definitely will be useful!
  • aphill24
    Thanks Jack, I do have a copy so will read it before hand. I'm worried that they will say that I can just use my left hand instead to do certain tasks but I can't do it the same. Tying my laces is not easy as is doing up buttons. I can't use a knife and definitely can't cut the Sunday roast or any cutting of cheese etc.
    I've bought an electric tooth brush so can manage that do I mention this?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.