Would my son lose his SDP if his girlfriend claimed Carers premium? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would my son lose his SDP if his girlfriend claimed Carers premium?

Kitty1
Kitty1 Community member Posts: 46 Connected
Hello everyone 
hope you are all doing well. My son is on ESA support group and gets SDP. His girlfriend cares for him and lives with her parents and is in receipt of income support. She was going to claim Carers allowance but he would lose his SDP. Someone said that if she didn’t get Carers Allowance she could still receive Carers premium in her benefit as she could have an underlying entitlement.  I have had a look but it’s confusing. It seems that she has to make a claim for Carers but I really don’t want my son to lose his SDP? Can anyone advise on this and how she can access the Carers premium if it is the case she would be able to get it?   Thanks so much. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,365 Disability Gamechanger
    No, she won't be able to claim this because as you said, he would lose the SDP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    You are correct that in order to get the carer premium she would have to claim Carer's Allowance and this would end your son's SDP.

Do you mind me asking on what basis she gets Income Support?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Kitty1
    Kitty1 Community member Posts: 46 Connected
    Thank you both for your replies. I am not sure on what basis she gets it as she is quite a recent girlfriend hence why I didn’t want my son to lose his SDP. 

Thank you again :) 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.