Hi, my name is HHB! I'm struggling to get interviews for the right kind of work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is HHB! I'm struggling to get interviews for the right kind of work

Options
HHB
HHB Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2021 in Work and employment
Hi i have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis. I walk small distances with a stick but use an electric wheelchair for more than pottering . I’ve worked full time in senior admin roles for over 20 years . I was bullied out of my last role and gave up Woking full time for a while  . I’ve applied for cashier roles in all the supermarkets and reception jobs at GPS . But don’t even get an interview . I can’t stand too long or do stairs so need a mainly sitting role. I’m only wanting to work three days a week  as it will be enough . 
I have to say about my disability out of nearly 97 roles I’ve had two interviews , one at Tesco’s who said I was perfect . BUT they had nothing available at the moment ??? And the other no feedback its so degrading and upsetting 

Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I'm sorry you are having trouble finding work 

Scope have a work support programme you might be interested in if you have a look in our employment section 
  • Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @HHB

Welcome to the community.

I am sorry that you are having difficulty getting a job. I retired because I could not cope with my commute and I was not allowed to go part time.

I thought I would never work again but after a long time found my niche and now have a job I love where I can work the hours I want.

Have you tried any local authority jobs ? I found that they were very disability friendly, to the extent of answering questions for me during a job interview - it was a strange experience. It may just have been that they were conscious that they did not employ enough disabled people. I did not take the job as it involved more travel than I wanted or could cope with but they were certainly more receptive than other potential employers.

I wish you the best of luck with your continued job search

Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @HHB :)

I'm also sorry to hear about the difficulties you've had getting a new job. Applying for jobs can be a real slog, and it's disheartening when they don't get back to you, or give you any feedback. 

I was wondering whether you might be interested in one of our employment services? Accessing a service such as Support to Work could help you to improve your applications and find the right type of work. 

Are you aware of the kinds of reasonable adjustments (Scope) you could benefit from at work?

I've also moved your post into our work and employment category, and tweaked the title, so that other members with a similar experience will be able to find your post more easily.

I'm sorry to hear that you were bullied out of your last job, too. Has any action been taken on this? Have you been able to access enough support to help you process what happened?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • urbanenergi
    urbanenergi Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Options
    @HHB oh I totally understand this I’ve had the same experiences in fact you wrote nearly my post so I really identify with it. I will read the replies as I need advice & support too. 

Brightness