Hi, my name is emmafinerty! I'm looking for work — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is emmafinerty! I'm looking for work

emmafinerty
emmafinerty Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited November 2021 in Work and employment
im looking for work i have app to lost of jobs and when i get a email and a no from im geting no were with a job  i have a learning disabilities
Tagged:

Comments

• emmafinerty
    can someone help me  i had help from work solutions  and bbo  thay could only help for one year
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @emmafinerty - & welcome to the community. :)  Scope has some employment services to help disabled people find a job. Please click on the following link: https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community @emmafinerty

Thank you for posting, and I'm sorry to hear that you have found finding employment a challenge. When in employment or applying for it, do you discuss what support you might need to make the interview process and working there more accessible for you? It can be a hard conversation to have, but having it can help yourself and the employer develop more of a shared understanding of how you can be supported.

As mentioned above, Scope have some employment services which you might be interested in accessing, you can read about those here.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Hello @emmafinerty

Thanks for reaching out to us. I want to wish you the best of luck with your job hunting. It must feel draining to keep applying for jobs and not hear anything back :( However, I have faith in you, just keep pushing forwards. In addition to the amazing guidance already provided, Exceptional Individuals have some useful information and support services for people applying for employment with difficulties and disabilities. If you are interested, you can find it at https://exceptionalindividuals.com/. I hope this helps but if you come across any additional questions or need our further support with this, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • emmafinerty
    thanks ross 
    i have found it hard i wish thay give me a job i donot think people out learn that people with a learning disabilities need a job thay shoud give them a go at the job
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @emmafinerty

I fully agree with you. I have faith in you, you just need to find the right employer who is willing to help you and recognise your potential! We see your strengths. Determination is the first thing that comes to mind  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • emmafinerty
    hi teddybear12
    i have done volunteering in oxfam working in toys
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That volunteering experience sounds good @emmafinerty :) Are you interested in working in a shop?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • emmafinerty
    im looking to work in a shop or a cafe
  • L_Volunteer
    Hello @emmafinerty

I would like to add to @Tori_Scope's response if that's ok! I had a sparkling thought. Do you have transferable knowledge, skills, and training? Such as people skills, communication skills, sales, managing money, passion, etc? These are just some examples and definitely won't include everything you would have learned and developed along the way! It all depends on what you want to apply for. A good starting point is to think about the common criteria being asked for in the jobs you are applying to, bullet point how you meet these criteria, and then write around these applicability points!  :D

• emmafinerty
    evey time i put my application form i have a learning disability i seem to be turned away and i dont like that
  • emmafinerty
    The Key skills i have  for a job are  Organised Team worker

• L_Volunteer
    Hi @emmafinerty

I am sorry to hear this. I hear and feel your frustrations. Though this should not be the case, I recognise it too often is. There are lots of jobs requiring the skills you have though so keep believing in yourself. We are here as an ear and to support you along the way! If there's anything specific we can do to support you please just let us know and we will do our best :)

• emmafinerty
    Hi @emmafinerty

I am sorry to hear this. I hear and feel your frustrations. Though this should not be the case, I recognise it too often is. There are lots of jobs requiring the skills you have though so keep believing in yourself. We are here as an ear and to support you along the way! If there's anything specific we can do to support you please just let us know and we will do our best :)
    do you no if there is a job with Disability Confident employers  so i can find a job 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Hi @emmafinerty

You can view a list here of the employers that have signed up to the disability confident scheme. However, just because an employer isn't on the scheme that doesn't mean they won't be accommodating.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • emmafinerty
    thanks evey one who is helping me

Brightness