Has anyone managed to secure funding for postgrad studies? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone managed to secure funding for postgrad studies?

Options
Juanalacubana
Juanalacubana Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2021 in Education
Hello all, has anyone managed to secure funding for postgrad studies? I'm not eligible for a student loan (age discrimination!) and need to fund my MA.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Juanalacubana

Welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble with securing your funding, that must be very frustrating for you.

I am unsure of what to advise in your current situation, however I have moved your query over to our education category so I hope that others will be able to provide suggestions :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Juanalacubana
    Options
    Thanks for that. I don't particularly want advice, more interested in hearing people's success stories to find out which charities etc are worth applying to.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Hello @Juanalacubana

Thanks for reaching out to us. Assuming you have already contacted Student Finance, the next best recommendation I have for you is Crowdfunding. The most common type is GoFundMe but this is certainly not the only type. For more information about this, please see https://www.prospects.ac.uk/postgraduate-study/funding-postgraduate-study. It might also be worth checking to see if the university you are hoping to study at provides scholarships, bursaries, and grants  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Juanalacubana
    Options
    I am not looking for advice or suggestions thank you.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Hi @Juanalacubana, when I studied my MA I was able to get a specific bursary from the college "based on individual need", because I was able to evidence the extra costs of being a disabled student, and working part-time during my studies. Essentially the majority of my earnings were going towards course costs at the time. 

The bursary itself was funded by the college (it's charitable foundation) and didn't come from a charity outside of that. It covered part of the cost for 1 year, so I had to reapply for year 2.

Can you tell us what you're hoping to study? Sometimes there are specific grants for certain subjects. You can even get grants if you live in certain areas, are a certain age or gender. Knowing what course you want to do is the first point to research possible funding.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Juanalacubana

No worries at all. Hopefully, you will find @Alex_Scope's response really useful for a personal story! In terms of myself, I was fortunate enough to access Student Finance England postgraduate funding but it did not cover the full tuition fees. To cover the full tuition fees, I received a scholarship for academic excellence based on my previous grades. I hope you find some comfort in our responses  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness