Permitted Work with a zero hour contract, with Employment and Support allowance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Permitted Work with a zero hour contract, with Employment and Support allowance

GJT3148
GJT3148 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
I am wandering how you get around the permitted work rules to keep DWP happy and to secure the rest of my benefits, if you are undertaking a zero hour contract job, which would see me doing on average no more than 44 hours a month at £12 per hour.  Which if you averaged it out per week based on 11 hrs would bring well under the £143.00 limit.

Im stuck on this and need assistance.

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    Permitted works rules mean you must work less than 16 hours per week and earn no more than £143 per week. If you do more than this then your ESA will end. I don’t believe you can average out the hours you work.
    Also do be aware that if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you’re claiming ESA then you could be reassessed early and the decision could go against you. 
    You also need to make sure you tell DWP that you’re working and you need to fill out the PW1 form.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    How often will you be paid?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • GJT3148
    Thanks for the feedback, I did pretty much know all of what you have just said so its good to her it again.  I find it hard to believe this scenario hasn't come up before when dealing with zero hour contracts.
  • calcotti
    calcotti said:
    How often will you be paid?

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • GJT3148
    Calcoti, I will be paid monthly 44 hours no more, and there will be no dates on the hours that I worked just total number of hours.
  • calcotti
    edited November 2021
    If you are paid monthly DWP will take your weekly earnings as the monthly pay x 12 / 52. If this results in a figure less than £143 you are OK.
    The hours can be similarly calculated.

• GJT3148
    Thats fine but the nature of my particular job (shipping unloading), is reliant on when the ships come in.  So i may have to do more work one week and nothing the next, bit it will never exceed 44 hrs in any given month.  This is my concern which I need assurance on that it is ok before I proceed.
  • calcotti
    edited November 2021
    GJT3148 said:
    Thats fine but the nature of my particular job (shipping unloading), is reliant on when the ships come in.  So i may have to do more work one week and nothing the next, bit it will never exceed 44 hrs in any given month.  This is my concern which I need assurance on that it is ok before I proceed.
    That’s why I asked how often you are paid. As already explained, if you are paid monthly DWP will take the monthly amount x 52 / 12 to calculate a weekly equivalent.
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/977332/admv4.pdf#page33
    Paragraph V4800
    This is the guidance for new style ESA.
    There is similar guidance for older ESA.

If you were paid weekly the answer would be different.
  • GJT3148
    Yes sorry it took me a while to understand the message but ive done the maths and based on the hourly rate and your equation, I can earn 51 hours safely and that puts me at £141.23.
  • GJT3148
    I appreciate everyones help tonight its helped me greatly thanks.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm glad our members have been able to clear that up for you @GJT3148 :) Please do ask if you have any further questions.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.