Universal credit and lcwra payments help. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit and lcwra payments help.

Options
sjay1971
sjay1971 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
If anyone could help me understand my payments I would add you to my Xmas list.
im on universal credit and get standard single person over 25 payment of £324.84 a month with 
Transitional protection £285 a month as well as my rent is covered so total to live on for month is £609.84.

now I’ve just been awarded lcwra at £343.64 a month. I was told by dwp several times that if I get awarded lcwra that I would get the extra money on top of what I get a month so I’m thinking £609.84 plus £343.64 a month.

now I’m not well but I know what I’ve been told several times so to my amazement I see that now my payments have been updated that they have awarded me the lcwra payment but stopped my transitional protection payment of £285 and just replaced it with the lcwra payment of £343.64 in which that actually means by been awarded lcwra I’m just getting £14.66 extra a week?

I completely understand that the system isn’t here to keep me but I can’t believe the stress and worry and medical I went through gives me just £14.66 extra a week or am I missing something.

as I say I was told the lcwra would be extra on top but not once did someone say one will stop and the other added so I’m really confused.any help would be fantastic Thanks.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Unfortunately, the SDP transitional protection you were receiving reduces over time, if other elements increase or you become entitled to some other elements, like you have with the LCWRA element. This was exactly the same when ESA was introduced and people transferred from Incapacity benefit.
    One good thing about being found to have LCWRA then if you work now or sometime in the furture you will have the work allowance. See link.
    However, if your Universal Credit entitlement increases, due to the annual increase in benefit rates or a new element being included in your award, your transitional element will be reduced by the amount of the increase (although not in the case of an increase in or new inclusion of, the childcare element). Once it has reduced to nil it will no longer be included. And you need to be aware that certain changes of circumstances will lead to the loss of your transitional element.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sjay1971
    Options
    so so I am right that I’m just £14.66 a week better off? 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    sjay1971 said:
    I make it £13.53/week but yes.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sjay1971
    Options
    calcotti said:
    sjay1971 said:
    Yes.
    Thankyou.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.