PIP Assessment Report... Will the DM go with this? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Assessment Report... Will the DM go with this?

AimeeT
AimeeT Community member Posts: 36 Listener
I received my assessment report today, and to say I'm disappointed is an understatement. Everything we spoke about on the phone is in there, however the reasons for her not awarding the points that I feel I'm entitled too are pretty ridiculous and seemingly copied and pasted for each of them. 

It just keeps stating that I must be able to do these things because I attend university. Although I go in for 1 day a week (usually online), and I'm actually really struggling. 

My question is, has anyone experienced something similar and actually been awarded PIP. So far she has recommended 6 points for daily living and 4 points for mobility. 

Comments

• euro
    euro Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    edited November 2021
    Hi @AimeeT

In my experience, the DM's follow the recommendations in the assessment report, even where it is obvious they have made material errors.

I had a similar issue with an award in 2016. Just started my 2nd year when I asked for my PIP award to be looked at again after 2 years into a 5 year award.  The assessor I got (I would love to name and shame, but think that might be against the rules) had the audacity to tell me during the assessment "I don't know how you can justify the difficulties you claim to have when you're studying at degree level".

I previously had 11 points for daily living and 4 points for mobility and after the review was awarded 0 points for both even though, since the first award, I needed a wheelchair to get around outdoors and on campus, had DSA covering transport to and from uni and a study mentor for 2 hours per week.  Without the extra help, I would not have coped and my deteriorating physical and mental health meant I needed an extra year to complete my degree. The mandatory reconsideration was a joke, as was the lower tier tribunal.  I lost the will and the capacity to continue fighting and nearly lost my ability to complete my course.

After putting in a new claim 6 months after finishing uni, I got 11 points for daily living back and also 10 points for mobility.  Though I believe my difficulties warrant 14 for each, I also feel I've got too much to lose if I ask for it looking at again.

In your case, there's nothing to lose - at least financially.  If you have the emotional strength and resillience to go through a mandatory reconsideration and you believe you should have been awarded at least 8 points for either or both components, then I'd go for it.   It might be worth finding someone with benefit claims experience who can help you through the process - I got my latest awatd that way.

Good luck!
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Th honest answer is 'probably, yes'...  As above, prepare for the MR and potentially tribunal if you're up to it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    They do mostly go with the report but it has been known for them to go against it. The decision maker is supposed to look at everything you sent as well as the report before making a decision.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • AimeeT
    It says on most of them 'considered this but...' and then a ridiculous response. Some of them are saying because I'm overweight, but recently had weight loss surgery, that the pressure on my arthritic knee will be reduced and I should be able to walk further, which would be all when and good if the damage wasn't done and I hadn't been referred for knee replacement therapy. 
    They're also completely contradicting information that is given in evidence and what we spoke about. The assumptions of some of these professionals doing the assessments are so far from the truth it makes me wonder if they know these conditions at all 
  • AimeeT
    Thanks @euro, its good to know that you eventually got somewhere with it... even if it was after your studies had finished. I've started to prepare a MR letter and further evidence, but I've sent in so much already I'm not sure what else I can provide. 

I had a face to face assessment for Disabled Students Allowance which I've sent the report off to PIP but its like it wasn't acknowledged at all. Do the assessors have access to all the evidence because she doesn't seem to refer to any of it. 

Anyway, I rang PIP today, and they popped noted on for the assessor with contradictions she made to the evidence I supplied, but I'm not holding my breathe. Just seems odd that someone who has never seen me can overrule evidence and reports supplied by consultants, surgeons and psychiatrists who have actually seen me. 
  • poppy123456
    AimeeT said:
    The assumptions of some of these professionals doing the assessments are so far from the truth it makes me wonder if they know these conditions at all 

They don't need to have any knowledge of any specific conditions because PIP isn't about a diagnosis. What matters is how those conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. As everyone's affected differently by these conditions, you can't compare 2 people. It's the claimant's responsibility to prove they qualify.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • danixxx
    danixxx Community member Posts: 128 Connected
    Aww @AimeeT sorry you didn’t get what you wanted but just Han on till award letter comes as could be different with abit of luck have they said weather a decision has been made yet @AimeeT
  • euro
    euro Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    AimeeT said:
     I've started to prepare a MR letter and further evidence, but I've sent in so much already I'm not sure what else I can provide. 
    If the evidence you have already submitted isn't referred to in your assessmemt report or decision letter or it seems to have been misinterpreted or  misrepresented, you can make that point in your MR letter without necessarily providing additional evidence. Your MR should be considered by a different DM, but they are not necessarily going to know anything about your conditions either.  Like @poppy123456 said, DMs don't need that knowledge, but in order to make a fair assessment, they need to know about the particular challenges you have, even if they have expert knowledge of your conditions. Try to make the link between the difficulties you experience and the conditions you have and their impact on the daily living and mobility activities as explicit as you can.  If it feels like you're 'teaching your grandma to suck eggs', you're getting there xx.
  • danixxx
    danixxx Community member Posts: 128 Connected
    Have you received decision letter as of yet @AimeeT
  • AimeeT
    danixxx said:
    Have you received decision letter as of yet @AimeeT
    Still nothing as of yet, I sent in some further evidence and a letter outlining what I didn’t agree with and how the evidence supports this. It’s just a waiting game I suppose 
  • hannah9229
    hannah9229 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    @AimeeT what was your outcome? I have just had a copy of my report and going through the same thing.
  • AimeeT
    Sorry I’ve only just seen this, they went with the assessment report and even with sending further evidence and a mandatory reconsideration, they still related straight to the assessment instead of what was in front of them. I didn’t have the strength to go to tribunal as I was already going through that with my son’s DLA 
  • poppy123456
    It's not unusual for the MR decision to remain the same. I don't if you're aware but you have up to 13 months to request the Tribunal so you're still within the timescale. Do remember though that they won't take into consideration any worsening of condition since the assessment took place.
  • AimeeT
    I wasn’t aware you had that long, so thank you for that information. I’ve just had the tribunal hearing for my son so I’m aware of that from that experience, but it was quite bad in the first place anyway so I’ll probably look to take it tribunal soon 
    thanks 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.