Is it typical for employer to make OH appointment & not ask how I'm coping? Waiting for adjustments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it typical for employer to make OH appointment & not ask how I'm coping? Waiting for adjustments

Bailey35
Bailey35 Community member Posts: 11 Listener
edited November 2021 in Work and employment
hiya,

I asked work for adjustments.  they have arranged occ health appointment in a month.    So I have self-certified for a week and spoke to GP to say fit to work if xyz in place.
  Asked for paid leave for these adjustments-told I need to be assessed for any adjustment.  Reminded them- nothing in the Equality Act says I do.

My employer has not once asked how I coping having told them of my declared issues.  An attitude of made appointment- crack on.  Hence I thought SSP why struggle

This typical?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

It is normal for your employer to refer you to oh when looking for reasonable adjustments 

The oh are the best way to assess your needs and recommend any adjustments 
  • Bailey35
    I don't think work are happy I have signed off work and my GP will no doubt say I am fit if xyz in place so we are talking Jan before I return.
      Trying not to worry about the manager.  
    But I will be asking for full pay from OH until things in place- discrimination arising from disability my thoughts.     
    thanks for replying.
  • Bailey35
    My GP is giving me letters from consultant to scan and upload for OCC health.
    My work knows I have a mental illness Inc stress.   
    I am off due to chronic pain and anxiety.  Using annual leave to cover four shifts to avoid anxiety provoking event.
    Asked for chair and adjustable desk.   I am in agony sitting nearly 12 hours.  
    My work hasn't asked am I ok until seen by Dr etc.   Just said no paid leave as need assessment.
    So thought no choice SSP hope I can claw wages . Discrimination arising from disability.

Feel terrible finally asking for help with my pain and anxiety

• Bailey35
    edited November 2021
    It appears they are not interested until Occ health.      The manager said can't do anything until occ health is assessed. The solicitor I spoke to said- no.   Clearly doesn't understand the EQA 2010.

Solicitor did say be unable to return until things are in place could open the door to ask for paid taking into account SSP.    I had a look at my employer on the tribunal decisions.     Vast majority applicants thas pulled.    Had a look further.    Appears if the employer settles on the day the tribunal records this so to enforce it .   
    I assume therefore my company like to keep these matters going that far.    But my manager nad his are not the most helpful.  Indeed line manager remarked last year on a admin staff with adaptation to her desk.   Unknown I suffer from chronic pain.  

i have briefly told them my issues but medical advice is the details of why I have anxiety or how I got injuries I have to remember due to the nature I don't want to risk the office knowing.   My line manager told staff why I was off before which Gp etc refused to disclose inc sick lines to this person.    There is a issue explaining stuff as very sensitive and still ongoing legally.
  • Bailey35
    Yeah parked on SSP for at least a month. With xmas- could be talking Jan for things to be in place.     but I am taking the 3-month deadline to raise failing to make adjustment for paid leave from when the manager said no adjustments until I see occ health.  But I am asking occ health Dr on this and will ask again then start ACAS.  Nothing ventured as they say.
      Just their attitude stinks.   

Brightness