Items them helps me with my mental health please share yours also — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Items them helps me with my mental health please share yours also

Options
Hi every one I have been in hospital 6 times this year I’m out now and this last stay in hospital has really helped with tips and tricks over this year I have learnt items that can help with our mental health here’s what I found helpful . 

Squishy stress toys , mood Octopus , sensory star light , sensory floating fish tank it’s like a light with floating plastic fish , weighted blankets also really helps , they also say holding ice helps I find that doesn’t work for me but may work for others . 

Also talking helps if you feel you can’t talk to your family or friends the nhs website has a great List of charities you can contact to chat . I personally call my local crisis team or my community team If struggling . 

As many of you know I have had a hard time with my mental health this year I’m no medical expect or any thing but always happy to share my story with living with mental illness to help any one so you know your not alone we all have our struggles . 

I also want to thank this amazing forum for getting me threw hard times xxxxxx

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Glad you are out of hospital and some good tips you have shared 

Hopefully others will add to this 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,038 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Glad to hear you're out of hospital and home with your partner and dog :) Thanks for sharing your tips, i'm sure they will help others. I hope they help you too because you have indeed had a very difficult year.
    My daughter has Autism and she often has problems sleeping so she finds sensory lights help a lot to calm her. Hers actually broke a few weeks ago so i bought her some from amazon for Christmas, these can be plugged in rather than batteries, so much better. It doesn't cost much either which is also good for those on a tight budget, i think i paid about £40 for them and the reviews were very good too. I think this is very little money if it helps to calm you. I won't put a link because i believe it's not allowed here but if anyone wants the link you're welcome to message me.
    Big hugs for you my friend xxx
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your tips @cupcake88 :) I'm sure other members will find them helpful!

I don't have any specific sensory lights, but I got a lava lamp as a present a few years ago and I find that can help me to feel more relaxed. I'd really like a weighted blanket, but haven't bought one yet.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,286 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks every one for your ideas and good wishes yes I’m out of hospital and I’m doing ok xx
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @cupcake88 glad to hear you're doing okay :) Thanks for sharing your tips as well, I agree talking definitely helps!

I also find doing things with my hands where I don't have to focus can be quite therapeutic, like colouring or sketching.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness