Trying to apply for PIP first time but OCD is preventing PIP1 stage — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Trying to apply for PIP first time but OCD is preventing PIP1 stage

Options
feeky1973
feeky1973 Community member Posts: 59 Connected
I'm trying to encourage a family member to apply for PIP. She has mental health,OCD.
She finds it extremely hard to use the phone and talk to people.   I know someone can do it on her behalf but the problem is I live on the other side of the country so cant help. I was told I had to be in the same room with her to be able to talk on her behalf. Is that right?  Is there anything else we can do to get the form?    Also just thinking ahead, I'm reading assessments are via phone or face to face. Is there a point at which I can become her appointee so that doesn't get distressed, she wouldn't cope with these.  Her mental health conditions just seem like they prevent her from accessing any of this process. Any advice most welcome :smile:

Comments

• griff11
    griff11 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
    Options
    I know I've answered you on another thread but you can ring DWP explain situation they will then send appointee form out.  I am appointee for my daughter who lives at different address.  She had to sign form which I appreciate is hard for someone with OCD who refuses to touch things.  No way around this unfortunately.  My daughters PIP continues to go to her bank account - joint with her husband.  I handle all letters, claims and phone calls including her up coming telephone assessment.   Hopefully in the future DWP will do more on line so those with disabilities find it easier to access and be involved in the process.  I was a bit uncomfortable being appointee TBH I thought I could just be representative like I am with HMRC for my hubby and be copied in, allowed to make calls etc.  
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,616 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Options
    feeky1973 said:
    Her mental health conditions just seem like they prevent her from accessing any of this process. 

I'm still amazed by the health, benefits & advice services all being so inaccessible to those of us that can't use phones or can't go out or can't deal with people etc due to mental health conditions...  And more worrying is that these services haven't made any improvements to access in the decade that I've been trying to use them.  Even the local disability advice service couldn't help unless I could use the phone or enter their office in person.  

When I first applied for PIP early 2019, I sent a letter asking for a paper form to be posted due to anxiety/OCD around telephones causing such severe physical issues.  Several weeks passed with no form arriving so I assumed it must have got lost in the post.  In the end I did try to ring to start the process, I found it incredibly difficult and they couldn't really hear or understand me, had to keep repeating things.  Long lasting physical consequences afterwards.  Anyway, long story short is I failed the assessment & MR.  And when I went to appeal and received the bundle papers, it included a copy of the letter where I'd asked for the forms to be mailed out!!  So they had received it and chose not to act on it. :(
  • griff11
    griff11 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
    Options
    @Username_removed how do you get conference calls.  I asked for one for my daughter's assessment and told by capita it's not possible. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.