Advice for back pain — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice for back pain

chlooooxxx
chlooooxxx Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hello everyone. I’m here for any advice as I’m guessing almost everyone is in the same boat. About 6 weeks ago I missed the step going out the back door and slipped. I landed on my back. It felt like my back completely locked and I was unable to move. I gave it a couple weeks and just dealt with the pain. I am now in ABSOLUTE agony. Every time I bend(even sitting on the toilet) feels like my back is just going to snap and that I need to stay in that position. I phoned doctors last week as the pain is so bad I can’t open my bowels. Doctors gave my laxatives to help me go. Doctor didn’t understand that fact that it ain’t that I can’t go it’s the fact it’s so painful I’m refraining myself from going. I’ve been using paracetamol, cocodamol,zapain. Heat packs. Hot water bottles. Baths. Creams. Pretty much everything the pharmacy has suggested. The pain just isn’t getting any better if anything it feels like it’s getting worse. I’m in constant agony whether i am sitting or standing,day or night. I am only 22. I’ve also had to give up my new job because I physically just can’t do it. I don’t know what to do I’m afraid i am going to completely put my back out. 6 week wait for a doctors appointment. Any advice would be much appreciated xx

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chlooooxxx ouch that must be sore. I would definitely get back in touch with drs and explain to them the difficultly your having maybe eve  request a  xray. If it gets too bad before that then I would personally go a&e or ring 111. 
    Welcome to the forum and I hope it gets better 
  • chlooooxxx
    @Sandy_123. Hi Sandy. Have spoken to my doctors but they won’t see me even though I’ve explained how much pain I am in. Going to try again tomorrow if not definitely going to go to the walk in centre. Thankyou xx
  • Sandy_123
    Yeah get it sorted might be worth just going walk in center 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chlooooxxx - & welcome to the forum. That certainly does sound very painful, & I would agree with Sandy, that you need to be seen sooner rather than later. Back pain is common, but yours was a result of a nasty fall onto your back.
    The only other thing I would add, appreciating that it's the pain that is stopping you from opening your bowels, is that co-comadol already contains paracetamol, & the other ingredient, codeine, can have the side effect of constipation, which probably isn't helping. So, yes, hope you can discuss this again soon with your Dr, or the walk in centre proves helpful.
  • chlooooxxx
    Hi @chiarieds. Thanks for your message. I’m not constipated. That’s what the doctors weren’t understanding. I am able to go but where the pain is so bad. The slightest bit of pressure on it sends my into more pain. Coughing and sneezing also does the same xx
  • chlooooxxx
    Hi @Teddybear12. I think I’m gonna go there tomorrow. Only had a telephone call as they are only seeing patients that need urgent care. I did have a miscarriage a few days after the fall so I’m currently putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with ten lol xx
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    Welcome to the forum.  I'm sorry to hear about the pain you are in.

As others have advised, you need to go to A&E to get this investigated.  An x-ray will only diagnose a break so don't worry if they suggest a CT scan, an MRI or both.  They are just being thorough. 

If you are struggling to walk due to the pain don't be afraid to call for an ambulance.  But don't struggle on, it needs to be checked.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Hi @chlooooxxx and welcome to the forum. My sincere condolences for your miscarriage, that can't have been easy to go through. Can I ask, have you been receiving any support for that? The NHS has some information which might be of help.

Given what has happened, I would certainly advise you to go to A&E or ring 111 as soon as possible, there may be damage you aren't aware of, and checking now will mean less of a negative impact in the long-term. The NHS does advise that if you're unable to open your bowels you need to get immediate medical advice, as well as if back pain is so severe that 'pain is made worse when sneezing, coughing or pooing'. 

I hope you've been finding our members advice useful, and please keep us updated with how you get on.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I think i'm more concerned that you had a miscarriage and haven't been able to see a Doctor.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chlooooxxx
    edited November 2021
    Hi everyone. Thanks for your messages. I managed to get a video consultation today. Dr has referred me for a MRI as they suspect a slight break due to the pain I am in and the no improvement since it has happened. Awaiting for an appointment now so hopefully not too long x @Teddybear12 @Alex_Scope @TheAlien
  • Sandy_123
    @chlooooxxx that's good I think you need to be investigated. I think when someone has had a fall and in pain from that area they hurt,with no improvement  it always needs looking at. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Hi @chlooooxxx thanks so much for updating us. I'm glad you saw the doctor on video consultation, and that an MRI has been recommended. It must be a relief that the wheels are in motion now, hopefully soon you can get the right treatment.

I hope it's not too long for you to wait as well! Let us know how it goes, and take care of yourself in the meantime :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Hi @chlooooxxx :) 

I just wanted to check in to see how you're getting on with things? Did you manage to get a date sorted for your MRI? 

I hope you're looking after yourself and that you aren't in as much pain as you previously were. 
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad you have been referred another option would be a chiropractor 

This could be costly but from my own experience was the best thing I ever did when I had a back injury 
  • jameslin12
    jameslin12 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Now a days very one using computer and mobiles so that they have lots of pain in their body. Visit here for more information.
    https://mobilehealthdata.com/thromboangitis-obliterans-buerger-disease/

Brightness