Abusive neighbours — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Abusive neighbours

skhan95
skhan95 Community member Posts: 123 Connected
edited November 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi I hope everyone is doing good 
I need some advice please I'm currently living in 1 bedroom flat on 3rd floor with my 2 children my daughter is 3 years old and son is 2 years old.
We r living in this flat from 3 years and our neighbours are threatening us from day 1st when even I dnt had a 1 baby with me she came  upstairs and started saying bad words after 1 week she came again and said your kids are jumping that time my daughter was 6 days old since then still she comes and shout threat us and shout at us
My daughter is autistic and special need child we all share room and she run alot and do not listen at all we are waiting for hearing test as well 
Last time I  call the police and they said we should be moved somewhere safe I contact council and they ask me to write the report and send them I was calling every single time council but no one was listening 
I have mental health and physical health issues 
Please any advice will be appreciated 
Kind regards 

Comments

• euro
    euro Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    Hi @skhan95 .  Antisocial neighbours can really make life difficult.  The behaviour you describe sounds to me like something the police should be acting on.

The .gov website has this to say:

Call the police

You should call the police if your neighbour:

• is violent, threatening or abusive
    • is harassing you sexually, or because of your sexuality, religion or ethnic background
    • is breaking the law in any other way - or if you suspect this
    Copied from: https://www.gov.uk/how-to-resolve-neighbour-disputes/call-the-police

We've had our fair share of "nasty" neighbours in the past.  The only way we could resolve the issue in a reasonable time was to move ourselves and I wonder if that is an option for you?  A ground floor flat or house may be better suited to your needs and the council should help with finding something appropriate, particularly as your current home could be considered unsafe. Perhaps you could get some additional help from an advocacy service in your area?

The process for evicting council or social landlord tenants for antisocial or illegal behavioir is so long winded - it can take years and there are (in my opinion) too many "get out of jail free" cards for people who blatently and persistently violate their tenancy agreements and disrespect their neighbours and community.  Rant over.

I hope you find a quick and acceptable solution for you and your family.

• skhan95
    I explained to the council and they said we will speak to the manager but I can’t see if they will move us police also said we should be moved but council is trying to avoid I’m so stressed I couldn’t sleep since she came and threatened us to come out she won’t leave me and my kids :(
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @skhan95 :)

I'm sorry to hear about the situation you're in at the moment, as I can only imagine how distressing it must be. 

I'd definitely encourage you to continue reporting any further abuse from your neighbours to the police. This could help to build up a full record of all of the incidences of abuse against you. 

Have you requested a social care needs assessment from your local council? You can find out how to do that on the NHS website.

You've mentioned that you experience mental health issues. I was just wondering whether you're receiving enough support for your mental health at the moment? Is your GP aware of what's going on with your housing situation, and how this is affecting you? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • skhan95
    Hy Tori thanks for your reply 
    no GP doesn’t know about housing situation what help they can provide I’m in stress and trying to get help but I’m scared that people will get angry on me I’m embarrassed to tell anyone this was the 1st time in 3 years I call the police 
    please let me know how Can I get help 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @skhan I'm sorry to hear how you've been feeling, well done for reaching out.

It's really good that you're trying to get help, it's a very scary thing, and it takes a lot of strength to ask for support. I'm sure people will understand that, they won't get angry at all. You could ask your GP to help with the extra stress that you're feeling because of everything that's happening. 

Please try and stay in touch with the police, I think the fact you've called them after 3 years is very positive, because it shows you're taking steps to keep yourself and your family safe. That's nothing to be embarrassed about. 
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    I think it may be worth having a conversation with your GP about your housing situation.  They can support your need to move and help you cope with the stress.

Its the age old problem, if they don't know what's going on, they can't help to fix the problem.

It may also be an idea to contact your local councillor or MP.  I know it very difficult, but you can't fight this all on your own, you need someone who can help you fight your corner.
  • skhan95
    Ok thank you so much for encouraging me I’m going to call my gp will let you know ☺️
  • Alex_Alumni
    Thanks @skhan95 that's great to hear, we look forward to hearing from you soon!
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    @skhan95 I'm really sorry that you're currently going through this situation, it must be difficult at times. I think your GP will be able to help and put your mind at ease about various things that you're worried about.

Well done for reaching out to them and I hope they offer some advice and support for you :) Please keep us updated on the situation and remember, we are here for you on the online community. 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • skhan95
    Hello I tried to contact council they said you and your neighbour sit together and sort out everything and when your neighbour is sleeping take your child in the living room or sit somewhere else when neighbours sleeping my daughter doesn’t calm down how can I spend all day and night in living room now I’m so hopeless and dnt want to face these neighbours I’m hurt that I’m not getting help from nowhere ????
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @skhan95

Thank you for your reply, I'm sorry to hear that the council haven't been very helpful again. Have you explained to them the impact this is having on your children, and that you have a disabled child? 

If the police are of the opinion that you should be moved, have you informed the council of this also?

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • TheAlien
    I am so sorry!  I don't think the council understand and the onus should not be put on you.  You are not the abuser here.

I still think your MP may be the one to approach, you should be able to contact them via email.

Have you spoken to your GP yet?

Try to stay strong, you are not alone in this.
  • paulmitch26
    paulmitch26 Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    they would be coming to mine once, just once

my neighbours know to leave me alone i made that clear
  • skhan95
    Yes I explained them everything I gave them police reference number as well but still nobody took it serious ?
  • skhan95
    How can I contact my Mp please if you can guide me 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    If you do a Google search for mp in your area it should give you a list and will give contact details 
  • TheAlien
    edited November 2021
    https://members.parliament.uk/FindYourMP

This link should give you all the info you need to contact them, just enter your postcode.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Hi @skhan95 has the link TheAlien posted been helpful? I'm really sorry to hear about what's been going on. Let us know if you do get in touch with your local MP.

If you feel you'd like us to offer additional support then please do say, we are hear to support you. 
    Scope

• skhan95
    Thank you so much I’ll update next things :(
  • TheAlien
    @skhan95 stay strong, we are here for you.

Brightness