Bank Threshold — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bank Threshold

Ookpik
Ookpik Community member Posts: 104 Courageous
Just wondered what the threshold is ,how much money one can have in the current account while on Disability allowance. And what is the maximum savings one can have in the savings accounts;l,e, premium bonds, investments, saving account etc before the penalties occur.
l just read somewhere for a current account is 8,000PDs, and for those whose premium bonds are 6,000PDs. l don't know if this is right. But l do hope someone can give me the right correct info. Thank you
Nature has all the answers. All we have to do is listen, and peace will prevail

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,321 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    It depends what benefits exactly you're claiming. DLA/PIP is not means tested. Income Related ESA/JSA and Income Support is, as well as Council tax reduction and housing benefit. Savings of less than £6,000 in all of your accounts, including premium bonds etc etc are disregarded. For every £250 (or part there of)  over this amount there is a £1 deduction. Savings over £16,000 and you're not entitled to any means tested benefits.
    For Universal Credit, it's the same but there's a £4.35 per month deduction for every £250 or part there of that you have on the last day of your assessment period.
    This link explains it all quite clearly. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/savings

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Savings thresholds and deductions for Council Tax Reduction vary between local authorities.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ookpik
    Ookpik Community member Posts: 104 Courageous
    It depends what benefits exactly you're claiming. DLA/PIP is not means tested. Income Related ESA/JSA and Income Support is, as well as Council tax reduction and housing benefit. Savings of less than £6,000 in all of your accounts, including premium bonds etc etc are disregarded. For every £250 (or part there of)  over this amount there is a £1 deduction. Savings over £16,000 and you're not entitled to any means tested benefits.
    For Universal Credit, it's the same but there's a £4.35 per month deduction for every £250 or part there of that you have on the last day of your assessment period.
    This link explains it all quite clearly. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/savings

Hi, thanks for the info. l am on DLA  with a state pension. 
    Nature has all the answers. All we have to do is listen, and peace will prevail
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,321 Disability Gamechanger
    In that case the savings for you is different. State pension and DLA are not means tested. For other means tested benefits is £10,000 for the lower limit. For every £500 over than amount there's a £1 deduction. Council tax reduction could be different depending on your local Authority.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    poppy123456 said: Council tax reduction could be different depending on your local Authority. 
    Not for a pensioner, national rules apply (as described in your post).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.