Where do I start? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Where do I start?

Options
shellbell20
shellbell20 Community member Posts: 260 Pioneering
As some of you know I have been ill with depression and anxiety for quite a while now. I don't know where to start. My situation is that I have been finding it really difficult just to make an appointment with my doctor. I did ring them a few weeks ago for medication and they asked if I wanted my sick note backdated. I said I don't know. They sent me a sick note which I didn't bother even opening and still haven't. I am just procrastinating about everything, doing nothing and getting nowhere and I know it is my illness causing this. It seems I am getting no better.

I have another doctors appointment booked for tomorrow about my illness and I don't know whether to ask this doctor which is a different doctor about it. I am thinking of claiming ESA as I have had no income for nearly 6 months now. Can I ask for a backdated sick note?  If so how long for?

Secondly, as some of you know I have to find somewhere to live too, I don't know how much money I will get, I don't even know where to start with housing benefits, the system is all so different since I claimed anything. What are my best options?

I read posts on here about benefits but I must admit I am absolutely clueless. I have tried to find work but in the last interview I had to hold back my tears, so perhaps I am not ready to go to work yet. I just feel so alone right now and I don't know where to start. I guess opening up the letter containing my last sick note would be a start.

Thank you in advance for any help. It is always appreciated. 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @shellbell20

Thank you for posting and speaking so honestly about how you feel, it must be hard to talk about so I really appreciate it

I think if you are finding things increasingly hard it might be a good idea to speak with your doctor and explain to them how you are feeling at the moment. Even though it can be difficult to have those conversations, they might be able to help or advise you.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • shellbell20
    Options
    Hello @shellbell20

Thank you for posting and speaking so honestly about how you feel, it must be hard to talk about so I really appreciate it

I think if you are finding things increasingly hard it might be a good idea to speak with your doctor and explain to them how you are feeling at the moment. Even though it can be difficult to have those conversations, they might be able to help or advise you.
     Thanks. I have an appointment booked for tomorrow.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For New style ESA you must have paid the correct amount of NI contributions from working in tax years April 2018 to March 2020. This can be backdated for a maximum of 3 months, with a fit note also backdated.
    You can only claim housing benefit if you're living in either support housing or temporary housing. Otherwise it's Universal Credit you'll need to claim. This is means tested so if you live with a partner you claim as a couple. Savings/capital of more than £16,000 and you're excluded from claiming. You can report a health condition when you claim and send in fit notes from your GP. This can't be backdated. Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=1537568b-381f-4904-9d4b-4fc2b49835d4
    If you claim both of those together the ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.
    There's also PIP, which isn't means tested. See link. https://pipinfo.net/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • shellbell20
    Options
    For New style ESA you must have paid the correct amount of NI contributions from working in tax years April 2018 to March 2020. This can be backdated for a maximum of 3 months, with a fit note also backdated.
    You can only claim housing benefit if you're living in either support housing or temporary housing. Otherwise it's Universal Credit you'll need to claim. This is means tested so if you live with a partner you claim as a couple. Savings/capital of more than £16,000 and you're excluded from claiming. You can report a health condition when you claim and send in fit notes from your GP. This can't be backdated. Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=1537568b-381f-4904-9d4b-4fc2b49835d4
    If you claim both of those together the ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

Thanks, Poppy,  I am looking to move, I have to, as I don't have a choice, so not only do I need to claim benefits I need to find a place to live.  It's where to start, with UC or ESA. I've just looked at the forms and they are ridiculous the ESA  form is like you are claiming for the old-style DLA. What I am trying to say not very eloquently is I am poorly with depression and anxiety and most of the form seems a bit harsh and not easy to fill in.  I'll be honest with you just looking at the form without filling it in has made me feel exhausted. Perhaps I should bring this up with my doctor tomorrow?
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    edited November 2021
    Options

Thanks, Poppy,  I am looking to move, I have to, as I don't have a choice, so not only do I need to claim benefits I need to find a place to live.  It's where to start, with UC or ESA. I've just looked at the forms and they are ridiculous the ESA  form is like you are claiming for the old-style DLA. What I am trying to say not very eloquently is I am poorly with depression and anxiety and most of the form seems a bit harsh and not easy to fill in.  I'll be honest with you just looking at the form without filling it in has made me feel exhausted. Perhaps I should bring this up with my doctor tomorrow?
    Hi @shellbell20 :)

Thank you for sharing your situation and I'm sorry that you're having to go through this. 

This link might be helpful, as it explains the different benefits that individuals are entitled to: Benefits - Citizens Advice. You could also see if there is a benefits advisory team near you, who can help you navigate the different benefit options and how to apply etc. 

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing depression and anxiety, that must be difficult whilst trying to sort out your benefits and moving house. It is important that you look after yourself during this time, and it's great that you're speaking to your GP tomorrow about these concerns. It must seem quite daunting to open up to them, but it will hopefully relieve a lot of stress for you. They are trained professionals and will hopefully put you at ease :) 

Please keep us updated with your situation and if we can help in any other way, then let us know. 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As you need to claim for help with the rent it will be UC that you need to claim, unless it's supported/temporary housing as advised. Details on how to claim is here. https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/how-to-claim
    If you haven't worked in the previous 2 tax years then you won't be able to claim for New style ESA.
    If you're talking about the ESA50 form, i don't see it being anything like the old DLA forms because they are 2 completely different benefits.
    As advised, please use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to UC.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • shellbell20
    Options
    As you need to claim for help with the rent it will be UC that you need to claim, unless it's supported/temporary housing as advised. Details on how to claim is here. https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/how-to-claim
    If you haven't worked in the previous 2 tax years then you won't be able to claim for New style ESA.
    If you're talking about the ESA50 form, i don't see it being anything like the old DLA forms because they are 2 completelyok different benefits.
    As advised, please use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to UC.

ok thank you.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.