Going for an MR... — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Going for an MR...

Cress
Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
So I reported a change of circumstances in September.
I have just recieved a decision, must have been paper based as no assessment.
They've said I will be getting the same as before, but for a longer time ...so standard rate daily living untill November 2025.

My initial reaction was 'oh at least I'm still getting it and won't have to worry about it for another few years'

But now I've decided it's just wrong and I have to and will challenge it.

I'm going to argue the case for mobility and enhanced dl....

They said they didn't think I suffered overwhelming psychological distress when going out...this is untrue so I'll be making the case for that...

So, lots of wracking my brain for the next few weeks....lol

And need to get a copy of the report.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Cress said: And need to get a copy of the report.
    You can request a copy of the report if you wish but you don't need it. You are challenging the decision. Picking over the report can be a serious distraction. You need to explain how you meet the descriptors to score the requisite points. If the decision letter says "at your assessment ..." you can of course challenge whatever it says if it is incorrect because the assessor has misunderstood something or because what happened at the assessment is not representative of how you are on the majority of days.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck @Cress

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cress
    Thanks @calcotti.
    I'm going to be focusing on where I think I should have scored the points as I know that's the most important thing, but I would also like to see the report.

Thanks @leeCal I'm going to need it!

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Cress said:
    So I reported a change of circumstances in September.
    I have just recieved a decision, must have been paper based as no assessment.
    They've said I will be getting the same as before, but for a longer time ...so standard rate daily living untill November 2025.

My initial reaction was 'oh at least I'm still getting it and won't have to worry about it for another few years'

But now I've decided it's just wrong and I have to and will challenge it.

I'm going to argue the case for mobility and enhanced dl....

They said they didn't think I suffered overwhelming psychological distress when going out...this is untrue so I'll be making the case for that...

So, lots of wracking my brain for the next few weeks....lol

And need to get a copy of the report.

Hi @Cress

I can imagine you felt quite confused getting that result from your change in circumstances decision. You need to do what feels right for you, and if that's appealing, then you should go ahead with it :)

You're right in challenging the points that you should have received for various factors (e.g., psychological distress). Have you disclosed any mental health concerns with your GP? If you have, you can always get your GP to print out your medical records of appointments etc. to act as evidence of experiencing mental health concerns. Unfortunately, mental health concerns can be quite difficult to evidence, given that a lot of them are technically 'invisible'. It shouldn't be this way though!

Good luck with the appeal and remember, there's nothing to lose with challenging your case :). Please keep us updated on how it goes. 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Cress
    Thanks @Libby_Scope

Yeah, just strongly feel it's an injustice and have at least to challenge it...

I had included letters from a psychiatrist and info on anti depressants, anti psychotic and diazapam taken along with anecdotal evidence for each discriptor...paper based assessment, which I was glad of and quickly dealt with...but I have to tell them why I disagree...they made wrong decision...not 'avin it...lol
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Cress said:
    Thanks @Libby_Scope

Yeah, just strongly feel it's an injustice and have at least to challenge it...

I had included letters from a psychiatrist and info on anti depressants, anti psychotic and diazapam taken along with anecdotal evidence for each discriptor...paper based assessment, which I was glad of and quickly dealt with...but I have to tell them why I disagree...they made wrong decision...not 'avin it...lol
    Yes, definitely! I'm glad you provided as much information as possible, and hopefully it will be a positive outcome from the appeal. We have our fingers crossed for you :)
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck for the mr @Cress good decision to challenge if you feel the decision is wrong 

Keep us updated 
  • Cress
    Thanks @janer1967

I'll update and be back for advice no doubt... :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Cress - above all, as you know, give that most important anecdotal evidence detailing what happened, when, what exactly happened, did anyone witness it, & were there any consequences in attempting/doing each applicable descriptor? Try & give a couple of examples for each.
    Any 'medical' evidence is only important if it identifies the problems you face with the relevant descriptors; your evidence matters way more.
    Apologies if you've come across this link, which may help. It's about completing the initial PIP claim form, tho is still relevant. It may remind you as to why you have difficulties, etc. Please see: https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-fill-in-the-pip-form/  ....there are also links to challenging a decision on this website.
    Make sure that you feel you may get sufficient points to change your level of award.
    Sorry, they don't need info on anti-depressants & other meds, it's all down to 'How your disability affects you;' concentrate on that. My best wishes as ever. :)
  • Cress
    Thanks for the links @chiarieds :)

I'll be going through everything with a fine tooth comb.

The meds info I gave was just my current prescription...

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.