OCD misunderstood — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

OCD misunderstood

Options
griff11
griff11 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
As a parent of an adult child with OCD I understand how debilitating & misunderstood the condition is.  This is an example:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @griff11 thanks for raising this topic for discussion, I have a friend with OCD who feels the same. I wonder how much popular culture has shaped people's views on the condition, so that they associate it with one thing, like cleanliness, rather than understanding it more fully?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,619 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There was a similar comment made on Michael McIntyre's 'Wheel' last weekend as well.  

I must admit, I just give these comments an eye-roll as they're clearly not meant with any malice.  I see the same across forums and other online platforms too.  I do understand why some people with OCD get upset by them but I don't know how we can change an entire culture of ignorance against OCD...
  • griff11
    griff11 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
    Options
    I did used to ignore too but my daughter is passionate about raising awareness so now I speak out.  Major retailers have withdrawn logo clothing , campaigns due to being made aware of the devastating impact of OCD.  In a strange way when the media gets hold of the inappropriateness it can educate more people about the condition.  So we need people speaking out.  I will private message via Facebook or Instagram companies and they have always responded positively to my polite request they reconsider the situation.  

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @griff11

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I agree with you that OCD is too commonly misunderstood and stereotyped. It is really great to hear you are being proactive about this though. The even better news is that people are responding to you appropriately!  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness