Tribunal decision letter. What does 'the appeal is allowed' mean? How long do I have to wait? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tribunal decision letter. What does 'the appeal is allowed' mean? How long do I have to wait?

susieb45
susieb45 Community member Posts: 49 Connected
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello everyone im susie. I had my tribunal last week and received my decision letter today but I don't understand it..What does the appeal is allowed mean please? Also how long do pip take to write or backpay after a tribunal if it is won. Would be grateful for any info. Thanks

Comments

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member Posts: 348 Pioneering
    Hi Welcome to the community, I'm unsure completley on PIP tribunals but thought I would answer until somone else can and clarify more.

As far as i'm aware appeal allowed means that the tribunal was successful, however DWP can further appeal it if they wish and have a certain amount of time too although rare. Not sure on timescales unofrtunatley, hopefully somone else can share some info.

But congrats on winning your tribunal and all the best,
  • susieb45
    @rubin16 Hi thank you for your reply ,very helpful and thank you for explaining that it is a win.  I awarded daily mobility only before and after the tribunal it is enhanced mobility and standard daily living now. Has been so stressful  but so glad I perserved,  and kept fighting.  Was so nervous during the hearing but just explained my case to the judge and the doctors ,the judge was very understanding.  So I think it helps to fight because you can tell them in your own words how your disability affects you and the struggles you go through.  Just hoping the dwp don't go against it..Just was wondering how long to hear from them and in regards to backpayment if its on stages or one payment.  Thanks again for your help and welcoming me. ??
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

It can take around 6 to 8 weeks for back pay but some get it within few weeks there are no fixed timescales 

You should get award letter within few weeks and this will detail your payments 

Backpay is a separate payment and made in one payment 
  • susieb45
    @janer1967 Hi thank you so much for explaining , you are always very helpful. I will just wait to hear from pip if everything is ok with the dwp and they don't appeal. Can be worrying but will just have to be patient. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    It isn't very often they appeal but that is why they delay the award letter and payment to allow for the time lapse to appeal 

I won't go into detail about how the appeal works as it is very unlikely to happen 

Keep checking your bank account as you may get payment before you get the letter 
  • susieb45
    Hi everyone thank you so much for your help and support..This is an update..I had my tribunal on the 11th Nov 2021 which I won..I was previously awarded only standard mobility.  I have now been awarded standard daily living, and also enhanced mobility.  My claim started on January 28 2021. So they said I will be backdated. I received a letter saying I will be receive backpayment on friday 26th November which I am happy about.  The only issue I have is I don't think they calculated it right, or maybe I calculated it wrong..They said I would receive 3,100, but I calculated that it would be 4,035 at 41 weeks. Still not sure how much my new pip amount would be each month going forward as obviously the calculations I did do not match.If I think its wrong who do I contact and when? Also are they known to make these kind of mistakes? Also is it one payment for backpayment?  or maybe they would send another? If anyone has any info I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news. I'm assuming you didn't transfer from DLA? if not then from 28th January to 11th November i calculated £4,052 they owe you, this is taking into consideration the money you've already received.
    IF you think they've calculated it incorrectly then you need to ring DWP and tell them.
    Going forward your PIP will be £490.20 every 4 weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • susieb45
    Hi poppy thank you so much for your quick reply . I was previously was told to apply for esa and im unable to work. I did this and then was told no I should claim uc. So I did this ,I have had to fill out health assessments for both of them and also for pip. I now receive uc aswel. I've just had the decision for lcwra  and im told I will receive more money in December on top of my payment.  While all of this was taking place I received nothing for 2months until I finally got uc.was very stressful.  Thank you I thought that there had been a miscalculation in my backpayment. So im right.  I will have to contact them then to rectify this, I hope they are understanding and sort it out. 
  • susieb45
    Hi @poppy123456 I spoke with someone at dwp and then said it was calculated from February instead.  Which I don't understand why as my claim was 28th January.  She said I will be paid on Friday then I will receive my pip award money on 29th November and my next payment will be the December 27th . So my award date has also changed from the 6th of the month to the 27th I think.Very confusing but think I understand kind of. Well hopefully everything goes according to plan,just thankful things are moving along. 
  • poppy123456
    If you don't understand why it's paid from feb did you ask them? Did you have your conditions for at least 3 months before you applied for PIP? If you didn't then this will be why it's not paid from January.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • susieb45
    Hi I did ask them why and they said yes it is  wrong and it should be from the 28th and they have calculated correctly,  they said I would receive 3,900 on Friday then my payment of 490 on 29th nov. Which is to cover November.  Then next payment in December 29th
  • susieb45
    @poppy123456 I have been ill since 2019 ,so  I had my condition 3 months before
  • poppy123456
    That amount sounds correct. It does depend when exactly the cut off date was because my calculation was up until 11th November. Glad it's now sorted.
  • susieb45
    Yes thats what I thought, so I'm happy she did explain it. Yes I calculated to the 11th also, but the money works out to be what I'm owed.  Thank you so much for your help poppy.Greatly appreciated, your so very helpful ???
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome! :)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.