Do I still have to contact tax credits to inform them of this? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I still have to contact tax credits to inform them of this?

Baileyxxx
Baileyxxx Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited November 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi my son got awarded high rate DLA, I have received the severely disabled child element but I was just wondering if I still have to contact tax credits to inform them of this? Or isit automatically because I do get UC 
thank you 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Hello @Baileyxxx

Thank you for posting this question, I'm pleased to hear that your son has been awarded DLA and that you are now receiving the severely disabled child element. 

I am unsure about the answer to your query, but I hope that another member will be able to provide you with one :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Hi @Baileyxxx :) 

Thank you for your post. If I'm being honest, I'm not too sure if you will have to contact tax credits. However, I believe Disability Living Allowance is not taxable and therefore, it will not reduce any other benefits that you are eligible for. Some of our community members might be able to help and share their own experiences relating to yours. 

Carers UK is a great website that shares a lot of information about Disability Living Allowance. The website might be able to help you in answering your question. The link to the Carers UK website can be found here

I will also tag your post, so it will hopefully draw in more attention from our community members :) 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,363 Disability Gamechanger
    As you’re claiming Universal Credit then you won’t be claiming tax credits as well, which means you don’t need to contact HMRC because UC is to do with DWP. You’re already receiving the Severe Disability element so no need to contact them. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    As Poppy says, if you are receiving UC you cannot be receiving Tax Credits.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Baileyxxx
    Baileyxxx Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Thank you everyone for the replies much appreciated ?

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.