Can I apply for PIP with my asthma? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I apply for PIP with my asthma?

Options
suzieq62
suzieq62 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited November 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Just  joined  bit  stuck  if I can  apply  for  Pip  with my  asthma, classed  as  server in  last  7 months  been  off  from  work   just  has  second  lung  funtion  done    now  got more tests  as  potassium  levels  are  high  .3  different  lots  inhalers  changed  I'm  lucky   if  my peak flow  180 .Don't  know  what  to do  seems  passed   from  one  place  to other. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors. It's also not about being unable to work, people claim PIP and work.
    Have a read of this, it will give you a little more understanding of the descriptors and criteria. https://pipinfo.net/
    It successful claim can potentially take about 10 months.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • suzieq62
    suzieq62 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I  know  it's  not  about  illness  but how  effects  you  but none  of  it  applies  to  me    yet  in  out hospital  finished  jb  as  chef  heat  In  kitchen  was  making  me  worse  and  each  just  deteriorated   in  last 7 months  ment  trundling  with  it  
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

If as you say non of the descriptors apply to you then you won't be eligible to pip 

Pip is a benefit to help people with physical or mental disabilities which impact on their daily living and mobility 

Apart from financial support do you have support from family and friends and your gp 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There are some people that have a disability but don't qualify for PIP because if you don't meet the descriptors, you won't score the points needed for an award.
    However, there are also a lot of people that don't understand the descriptors and what they mean so they think they won't score any points but this may not be true, if you had a little understanding and perhaps take some time to do some research.
    If you can't do this then get some expert advice from an agency near you and they will tell you whether you can score enough points for an award. For this start here. https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @suzieq62 to help us support you I've moved your post into our PIP category, and changed the title a little.

Have our members replies helped answer your question? Let us know if you are still unsure about anything.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.