PIP Cancelled Renewal Forms Not Received - HELP! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Cancelled Renewal Forms Not Received - HELP!

7501x
7501x Community member Posts: 49 Connected
Hi everyone. I had a letter saying my PIP needed to be reviewed. I started filling the paperwork but due to my neck pain I couldn’t sit and write the forms so asked for another copy I could scan and fill out electronically lying down. Forms took ages to come so I got an extension. Phoned again to chase forms to be told the extension date was different (was given three different dates in total). The last date I was given was 20/11/2021. I sent the forms back on 09/11/2021 via their free post service so no proof of postage. Today I’ve had a letter saying my PIP has stopped although I sent the forms back 11 days before the deadline! I’m massively stressed now as this will mean I can’t pay my bills. Typically I got the letter after 5pm on a Friday and they don’t re-open now until Monday and I’m therefore panicking all weekend until I can call them on Monday! I’ve read in some places you have to start a new claim, and other places that DWP have helped and explained they have backlogs etc. can anyone offer any advice or help please? Any similar situations or what I can expect?

thanks in advance 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    11 days isn't long to return your form, there's huge backlogs. The letter was probably sent just after you posted the form back, so they could have received your form by now. We've had other members that had their PIP suspended because they didn't receive the forms back in time but when they did receive them the PIP was reinstated, hopefully they will do the same for you.
    Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do until Monday when they open.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    7501x said:...Today I’ve had a letter saying my PIP has stopped although I sent the forms back 11 days before the deadline! 
    What is the date on that letter. As poppy says, it likely that the forms and the letter have crossed in the post.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • 7501x
    Hi both. The letter from DWP is dated 21/11/2021. My deadline was 20/11/2021. I just don’t see how they can’t give you leeway knowing post is slow at the moment and they have their own backlogs. Seems very unfair and cut throat that they just stop your money 24 hours after the deadline! Apparently free post takes a maximum of 4 days to arrive so they should have received it 7 days before the deadline. Thankfully I scanned and kept a copy but no proof of postage as it’s a free post address :(
  • poppy123456
    The Freepost minimum of 4 days to arrive doesn’t apply to DWP. It’s not classed as arriving until it’s been added to the computer. Post going to DWP has to go through a Mail sorting process and can take a few weeks under normal times. 
    The letter is likely to be automatically generated. 
    Do be aware that your PIP stopping may affect any other benefits you maybe claiming.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    Ring them on Monday. They may have received the form by now. If it is still not showing tell them when you sent it and offer to send a further copy and ask them to reinstate the award.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • 7501x
    Is it possible for them to reinstate the award? And do they not take into account the fact it takes weeks for them to upload it to their systems? I’m due a payment at the end of this month so I’m worried I won’t get that now :(
  • poppy123456
    As advised here..
     We've had other members that had their PIP suspended because they didn't receive the forms back in time but when they did receive them the PIP was reinstated, hopefully they will do the same for you.

You will need to contact DWP on Monday when they're open.

• calcotti
    7501x said:
    Is it possible for them to reinstate the award? 
    Yes.
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    You can still get proof of posting on a freepost address, just take it to the post office and ask them for proof of postage, its free.

The DWP have a huge backlog of post right now and its possible its been sorted since they sent you the letter. 

Also, benefits are paid in arrears, so even if they have temporarily suspended your PIP from 21st, they need to pay you up until 20th, so you should get some money even if its not the full amount.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Mine was stopped for this reason and then reinstated.  Top up payments were fairly quick after being reinstated so if you can contact them asap you should be ok.  As above, you should also get a partial payment if that's any help.

It did affect my SDP (ESA) and I was sent forms to re-apply for that.  Not sure if standard practice or if they have a note on the system that I can't use phones.

DWP don't have a letter that covers errors on their part though, and they don't apologise for all the stress and financial issues that they caused by stopping the PIP.  They just send out a letter that makes it look like an MR and says something like 'I have decided there was good reason for you not returning the letter on time' which puts the blame on the claimant.  I assume it won't make any difference to the actual review but does take the mick a bit!
  • 7501x
    Thanks for the reassurance! I’m calling them first thing tomorrow. Can I ask if you had proof of postage? I didn’t get any as it was a free post address so I didn’t think I would need it :( what did you say to them to get them to reinstate your PIP? I’m stuck without that money so really anxious about it x
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @7501x I'm glad to see you've been reassured. Good luck with the call, and please let us know how you get on :)

Until then try and focus on things you enjoy and which help you relax, or talk to loved ones about their weekend. Whatever helps best.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • 7501x
    Hi everyone. Just to let you all know I called the PIP helpline thismorning and before I even got chance to finish what I was saying they said they’d received my documents. They called through to an assessor who has reinstated my claim. Such a relief! Thank you for the advice :) x
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    7501x said:
    Hi everyone. Just to let you all know I called the PIP helpline thismorning and before I even got chance to finish what I was saying they said they’d received my documents. They called through to an assessor who has reinstated my claim. Such a relief! Thank you for the advice :) x
    Brilliant news, thanks for the update :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news you can stop worrying now 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    7501x said:
    Thanks for the reassurance! I’m calling them first thing tomorrow. Can I ask if you had proof of postage? I didn’t get any as it was a free post address so I didn’t think I would need it :( what did you say to them to get them to reinstate your PIP? I’m stuck without that money so really anxious about it x
    Sorry for the late reply, I'm glad to see you've got it sorted now.  :) 

I didn't get proof of postage either.  I can't get to the post office so the only option I had was putting it in a postbox near my home.  

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.