How to find wheels — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to find wheels

Circe
Circe Community member Posts: 68 Pioneering
I'm thinking of  buying a wheelchair  for a bit more independence so I can get around more easily but I've heard that the wheelchair service NHS is only dealing with strict criteria. I can walk but it's limited. Any advice where and what to look for? 
Carpe Noctem

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @circe :) You might find this page on our website about getting a wheelchair helpful. It has some information on buying a wheelchair after the information on NHS wheelchairs. 

We've heard from some other members that they've found buying a second hand wheelchair a good cost effective option. Have you considered that?

I hope that you manage to get one, and that it helps you to gain some more independence!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

The wheels supplied by wheel chair service are very basic so depends on what you are wanting it for

You may benefit from going to a mobility shop to see what options are you don't have to buy from there just get idea of best chair for you
  • Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Hello @Circe

I do not have any personal experience but when my mother needed a wheelchair some mobility shops were prepared to bring a couple to her home so she could try them out so it may be worth asking.

Also, my local council have wheelchairs for hire by the day so that may be another way to check out whether you want a wheelchair and the type you want.

One thing to bear in mind is are you planning to put the wheelchair in your car or a friend's car? When my mother chose her chair we did not try lifting it into the car - it is a dead weight as unfortunately we did not buy a light option and so it is rather restrictive as it takes two people to lift it up so she always feels bad as it is so heavy and thinks one of my family will end up with a hernia!

Hope you find something that suits you.
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • Circe
    Thxs, I was thinking of lightweight so I can manoeuvre it about. 
    Carpe Noctem
  • Circe
    i did go to a mobility shop with a friend, I was very surprised how light it was and easy to manouve, Ive also done some youtube video researches and the more I think about the more positive I think it may help me. I am not quite ready for an electric one and I am doing some research about those though i have to measure my property to see if one would fit!
    Carpe Noctem
  • Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Hello @Circe

Pleased to hear you are researching.

When we bought my mother's wheelchair as well as not realising that it would take two very fit people to put it into a car we also did not measure it for doors. That means at some of her hospital clinic appointments she can not get into all of the small rooms as the doorways are too narrow.

With my property, I asked about disabled wheelchair access when making the bathroom crutch user friendly as the door is really narrow and I wanted to future proof the room. I was told it was major structural work so it really does pay to research.

Hope you are nearing finding the right chair for you.
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • Circe
    Reg said:
    Hello @Circe

Pleased to hear you are researching.

When we bought my mother's wheelchair as well as not realising that it would take two very fit people to put it into a car we also did not measure it for doors. That means at some of her hospital clinic appointments she can not get into all of the small rooms as the doorways are too narrow.

With my property, I asked about disabled wheelchair access when making the bathroom crutch user friendly as the door is really narrow and I wanted to future proof the room. I was told it was major structural work so it really does pay to research.

Hope you are nearing finding the right chair for you.
    Thank you for your advice, I am still looking but more or less think I have a list of must haves so I can get the right one.
    Carpe Noctem
  • Circe
    I brought one! 
    Carpe Noctem

Brightness