Keep needing to breathe in quickly — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Keep needing to breathe in quickly

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,366 Disability Gamechanger
I am posting here as I can’t find a section on the new forum for general health. Please feel free to move it if there is a more appropriate place!

In the last few weeks I have been getting a weird experience with my breathing. The best description I can give is that it is as though I’ve been holding my breath and need to quickly take a gulp of air.

It happens at any time but seems to happen more when in bed lying down.

I want to emphasise that it isn’t severe, it’s not even a problem, just annoying. However I wonder if it is the early sign of something that does get worse over time? I have close relatives with breathing conditions, I don’t know if these run in the family or not.

Is this normal? I’ve never experienced it before. I’m overweight which may be relevant, but have been for years and not experienced this until now.

I will ask a professional when I see them for something else, but I thought I’d see if anyone knows anything while I am waiting. I’m probably being a hypochondriac but thought better safe than sorry!!

Thanks

Comments

• 66Mustang
    edited November 2021
    Just to add I also have anxiety which I have heard can affect breathing?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I started this about 6 months ago I haven't done anything about it 

Due to other symptoms I had a chest xray for possible copd but everything was clear 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm no doctor but it could be anxiety related being made worse by lying down, definitely something to get checked out as soon as you can, if only to put your mind at risk.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    Thanks everyone for the responses.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I've also experienced this @66Mustang, particularly during times of heightened anxiety, so it could be that. I'm sure there could be a few different causes though, so definitely do speak to your GP as you've said :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    As above, anxiety may be the culprit, but discuss with your GP if concerned. Please see: https://www.md-health.com/Having-to-Take-Deep-Breaths.html
    Did I ever mention (only 3 or 4 dozen times on the forum :) ) that breathing properly, i.e. diaphragmatic/abdominal breathing is really good for you! Follow this link instead, & hopefully give this a try: https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/therapies/abdominal-breathing.pdf   just get comfy, you don't need a pillow under your knees, and perhaps practice during the day. :)
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks @chiarieds the info makes perfect sense.

I will give the breathing a try and report back.
  • chiarieds
    66Mustang describes this as an 'annoyance,' not even a problem; most respondents have suggested seeing his GP nonetheless. Personal experience has also been given, & mentioned as such. The link I provided mentions other potential causes of needing to take a deep breath, admittedly one was allergies rather than any food intolerance, but the OP hasn't mentioned 'struggling' for breath.
    So, personally, I don't see any veering into medical advice being given, & I'm sure the Scope team would mention this if they thought it was the case. Hmmm some of my comments were removed by a member of the Scope team when I mentioned how to start taking CBD, which is sold as a food supplement, appropriately & safely not so long ago, so you can be assured by their vigilance. You have previously mentioned the plural of anecdote isn't evidence, yet only mention one incidence of such an intolerance.
    Regardless. 66Mustang has said he'll mention this when he next sees a professional, & I think we can credit him with some common sense if his symptoms should worsen.
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks for all the responses.

Just to say I tried the breathing exercise last night before I went to sleep. I think it calmed me down by a small amount but I still experienced the same breathing issue later on after I’d done it. The breathing did feel like it was doing something healthy though and I will keep trying it as it can’t be doing any harm. It’s actually a great way to relax. :)
  • chiarieds
    Do hope it may help; it is a good way to reduce stress & aid relaxation. Keep trying it until you fall asleep. :)
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @66Mustang. I do think this is something worth discussing with your doctor as there can be so many different causes. 
    I suffer with allergies and asthma and this is something I do when either flares and my oxygen is low. Equally my partner does it when she's anxious or coming down from an anxiety attack. I've known others with obstructive apnea describe similar too. 

I'm not saying you have any of these conditions, but highlighting that there are such a wide range of possible causes and some more serious than others, so always better to err on the side of caution and get it checked. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks everyone, I will definitely mention it to the doctor when I next go to see them.

Brightness