Are universal credit correct here? They've only paid for my new place's rent — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are universal credit correct here? They've only paid for my new place's rent

JumpingJames
JumpingJames Community member Posts: 43 Courageous
edited November 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
I moved into a new property on 21st November 2021 it’s with my friend and universal credit paid me on 28th £195 (half the rent). I queried this multiple times because up until 21st November I was living at a house where I got £469 in housing (so £280 more). M  assessment period is 22nd October to 21st November. They said because my assessment period is 21st November I have been paid for my new place’s rent (£195) and not my old place’s rent (£469) when I have lived at my old place from all the period 22nd October to 21st November (moved on the 21st) Thank you.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JumpingJames

Thanks for posting, congratulations on the move, it must be exciting to live with your friend.

I am unsure about the answer to your query, but I have tagged your post as unanswered so hopefully other community members will be able to provide their insight as to whether UC are correct or not.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @JumpingJames. Unfortunately this does sound correct. Although it's paid in arrears, your Universal Credit award is based upon your circumstances on the last day of your assessment period, so if you were living at your new property on the 21st (the final day of your AP) then it would be your new rent they consider.

It does seem unfair, especially in situations like yours. I know it's of little comfort but it would also work the other way too. For example if you'd lived the month in the lower rent property and then moved to the higher one on the final day, they'd consider your higher rent. 

Are you and your friend joint tenants and each responsible for half of the rent?

Community Manager
    Scope
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree with Adrian here and it does sound right. Had you moved into your new place a day later then you would have received the rent amount for your previous property.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JumpingJames
    Hi @JumpingJames. Unfortunately this does sound correct. Although it's paid in arrears, your Universal Credit award is based upon your circumstances on the last day of your assessment period, so if you were living at your new property on the 21st (the final day of your AP) then it would be your new rent they consider.

It does seem unfair, especially in situations like yours. I know it's of little comfort but it would also work the other way too. For example if you'd lived the month in the lower rent property and then moved to the higher one on the final day, they'd consider your higher rent. 

Are you and your friend joint tenants and each responsible for half of the rent?

That’s ****. Yes half the rent, he moved in one money before me because I had to give one month notice on my old property.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    JumpingJames said: That’s ****. Yes half the rent, he moved in one money before me because I had to give one month notice on my old property.
    Unfortunately you moved a day too soon for UC purposes.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • JumpingJames
    Just a question, if I took this to mandatory reconsideration and then appeal could this get overturned?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2021
    Just a question, if I took this to mandatory reconsideration and then appeal could this get overturned?
    No. The decision is correct. Your entitlement for the month is calculated according to your circumstances on the last day of the assessment period.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    By doing this you'll be wasting your time and their time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.