Hope this is the right place. My sister's boyfriend is giving her less money. Can UC help? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hope this is the right place. My sister's boyfriend is giving her less money. Can UC help?

Maybeimcrazy
Maybeimcrazy Community member Posts: 48 Connected
edited December 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Ho guys, could anyone answer me a question/ or help advice please. Its not for me BTW its information i can hopefully pass on to my sister!

So my sisters best friend, has been with her BF for around 5 years, they are joint claim UC, my sister friend has the UC payment go in her account, her BF works, but sad to hear that this passed year when he gets paid hes wages, hes giving her less and less money or a small amount towards a bill or food shop, now he gets paid the week after UC, and normal the UC pays most the big bills and maybe some food shopping unther BF gets paid, my sister feels the BF is been mean to her and afew times her friends cried over the phone due to how it seems to be begging him for support money! They have kids and he's son moved in 2 years ago full time with him. If hes acting this way. And not helping etc is there anything she could do regarding help or help with money. I believe my sister said, she's though about ending the relationship but him and hes son will have no where to go. But this is really knocking her as it seems they fight would UC be able to help in anyway at all. Ill pass any information on to my sister and go from there. thanks for reading. 
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    This is very sad indeed. Unfortunately, If they are living as a couple they claim UC as a couple, there's nothing else she can do with regards to the UC claim. If in the future they are no longer a couple then your friend will be able to report the changes and remain on UC as a single person.
    Is she able to talk to her partner to ask if they can give more money towards all the bills?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Maybeimcrazy
    @poppy123456 thank you and I'll pass this on to my sister to give her friend, it is very sad, and i think from what my sister said on the phone, its kind of like the UC is for big bills small food shop, but other bills come out at a later date, and he's an A## by sounds of it, he won't communicate with her, its im guessing it starts fights so she backs off to save any fights. Like hes controlling it. She sent me screenshot where she texted her BF the electric and gas had gone. And he said lmao bad times because he was at work and my sister borrowed her money to get it back on. Because kids was off due to weather with thr snow. Also from the screenshots, she feels guilty that hes son wouldnt have anywhere to live if she askes him to leave. Reading the texts. I feel for her and the kids but thank you so much hun much appreciated xx
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Maybeimcrazy :) Thanks for making your post. 

To be honest, I'm a little concerned over how your sister's friend's boyfriend has been acting, in terms of limiting the amount of money she gets, and not always ensuring that important payments such as bills are made.

I can understand that she'd be concerned over where him and his son would be able to stay if she asked him to leave. Whose property is it? Do either of them have friends or family members they could stay with if needed, even just for a little break? 

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    It's not an issue for UC more to do with the relationship between the couple, she needs to sit him down and explain that he should be contributing more and that if he refuses then he may have to leave, the son is his problem not hers.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Maybeimcrazy
    Hi @Tori_Scope yes my sister told her hes behavior didn't sit right with her too! Nore does it me, my sister has spoken with him and he said he will start putting half hes pay into her account and he used hes under pressure due to work and he thinks he's down and wants hes GF to book him to see GP! So hopefully now she's had a conversation with him regarding her friend he mite wake up abit. @woodbine also my sisters friend, told my sister to tell him she will give it till February and if this are still the same, then he will have to leave because she isn't going to live like that forever. If he's got some depression she's willing to work with it. But he can't keep going on not helping her with stuff so hopefully it will be ok! If not then he's going to go to hes moms ?thanks all for your input xx

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.