Things are getting sorted finally! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Things are getting sorted finally!

jingle
jingle Community member Posts: 21 Listener
I think my claim is finally getting sorted!
I’ve had a letter uploaded saying they owe me quite a lot of money. I wondered if there’s a way to check if the amount is correct as it’s huge?? I don’t want to end up owing them money
With the biggest thanks ever to @calcotti, without you I wouldn’t have even known my claim was wrong or known how to challenge it and to @SarahUCE@poppy123456 and this site for your help 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    That's fantastic news! Thanks for coming back to update us. Did you take screenshots of all your past statements? If you did then you can work out what you've previously received and what exactly you should have received but it won't be easy.
    If you didn't take those screenshots and your statements have already be recalculated then it will be very difficult to work it out.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jingle
    I didn’t think to I’m sorry. The amount is over £40,000 though which surely can’t be right?? Will they really pay that to me? Also if they do pay me it how soon after will my claim close? Is it immediate or will I get my December payment? Sorry if that sounds greedy I just am trying to figure it out. How low does it have to be before they let me claim again? I know it sounds a lot (and it is) but it won’t cover my rent for 2 years so it won’t last that long. Will I be able to claim again in the future?
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jingle that's great news, thanks for updating us. I'm very glad to hear our members were able to help out :)

What poppy123456 has advised seems like the best way to check.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2021
    Thinking back to calcotti's calculations i'm not surprised by the huge figure because you were drastically being underpaid. If they owe it to you and they've told you how much then yes you will receive that amount. Backdated money is disregarded for 1 year for all means tested benefits but if the under payment was offical error it can be disregarded for life.
    Either way, you should enjoy that money and treat yourself and your children because you definitely deserve it! I can't even begin to imagine just how difficult life must be for you and i'm so glad you joined the community and have been given this advice.
    If you have any debt it maybe worth your while paying that off with your money too, then this way you'll have lot less stress to deal with!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • jingle
    Sorry could you explain what you mean by disregarded? My worker put on my journal that I need to let them know when I receive the money into my account so my claim could be closed
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2021
    Disregarded means "not counted towards the savings limit." Yet again you were advised incorrectly by this "worker"
    See link and scroll down to "what not to include as savings" https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/savings

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Jingle. I am so pleased that progress seems to have been made. I was outraged at how badly your claim had been processed so badly. 
    Please check your next UC statement carefully to see that everything we have discussed is now included.
    I can’t comment on the amount you are owed because I haven’t done the maths but it will clearly be a large amount.
    The arrears payment should be ignored as capital, but as others have suggested take the opportunity to pay off any debt you have accrued.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    jingle said:
    Sorry could you explain what you mean by disregarded? My worker put on my journal that I need to let them know when I receive the money into my account so my claim could be closed
    You should respond to that message

I didn’t understand your message about my claim being closed. I understand that the benefits arrears payment I am due to receive should be disregarded for 12 months and  therefore has no impact on my ongoing award. Refer to the Universal Credit Regulations 2013 Schedule 10 paragraph 18(1)(a).

———
    if you still have more than £6000 left after 12 months it will affect your UC.

Others have referred to a possible longer disregard because the amount is over £5000. Ian not sure that applies in UC but will post back with revised advice if I find something.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • calcotti
    edited December 2021
    Wanted to post back on the question of capital disregard for the arrears payment you have received.

The rules say that any benefit arrears payment is disregarded as capital for 12 months. There is an additional rule that says that an arrears payment over £5,000 paid as a result of official error is disregarded for the lifetime of your UC award.

I can't find a definition of what counts as 'official error' but your situation appears to be the result of official error and therefore the arrears payment should be disregarded for as long as you continue to claim UC
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jingle

How is everything going? I do hope you have found the above replies helpful :) 

Merry Christmas
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • jingle
    Thank you so much for remembering me and coming back @calcotti

Do you know if it’s still the case if they are paying it to me in instalments? Is each instalment 12 months from the date I receive it or from the date of the first one? 
    Thanks @Ross_Scope everyone, particularly calcotti, has been so helpful to me 
  • calcotti
    edited December 2021
    jingle said:
    Do you know if it’s still the case if they are paying it to me in instalments? Is each instalment 12 months from the date I receive it or from the date of the first one? 
    Paying in instalments is new and I don’t know the answer to that - it may not be clear from the regulations.

However, as per my previous post, I think, because they are over £5,000, the arrears should be ignored for the lifetime of your UC award anyway.

I assume that payment in instalments is something that you have agreed to. You are entitled to be paid in one go if you wish.

I really hope that knowing your finances have been improved will allow you to have a more relaxed Christmas.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.