Powerchair to get across train level crossing ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Powerchair to get across train level crossing ?

Tinkerer
Tinkerer Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone ☺️✌️ I’m looking for some advice about negotiating the level crossing near my home. I currently have a Shoprider Malaga powerchair. This chair has no suspension to speak of and through bitter experience can be thrown sideways when it hits a bump ! I was previously knocked sideways when I hit the bump of the track dip and ended up looking down the railway line when trying to cross the level crossing; a council worker was passing and heaved the chair off the line very quickly ? I need a better powerchair to get across the line with confidence and have been recommended a Pride Quantum Q6 Edge 2.0 or a Sunrise Quickie Q500M as offering the best combination for my needs. Can anyone tell me their experiences with these or similar powerchairs especially in relation to level crossings please ?

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Tinkerer :) It's great to have you with us!

I don't have any personal experience of using a power chair, so I can't comment in that sense, but I hope that another member with some experience of this will be able to give you some recommendations and advice soon.
    I was previously knocked sideways when I hit the bump of the track dip and ended up looking down the railway line when trying to cross the level crossing; a council worker was passing and heaved the chair off the line very quickly
    That must have been terrifying! I'm sorry you had to go through that. Have you been able to regain some confidence since this incident, despite the chair still not being quite good enough?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Tinkerer
    Tinkerer Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Tori_Scope, thank you for welcoming me ! ☺️ It was frightening afterwards but not so much at the time because it all happened so quickly. I was so lucky that the council worker was so close. He ran across the road and was lifting and pushing within just a minute; I had nothing to give him and feel gutted that I couldn’t thank him more but he truly saved me. I haven’t attempted the crossing in the chair since. I had only been over it five times and the sixth I got stuck. I guess partly I’m asking if this was down to my powerchair, bad luck or whether this is something that people avoid (crossing level crossings)
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Hi, how are you? I have the Invacare TDX SP2 power chair and I find it to be fab at getting up kerbs and over little obstacles like potholes, etc. it has kerb climber on it so I’m always secure in my chair. This is the only power chair I have had so I cannot comment on the ones you mentioned in your post. I hope this helps. 
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Tinkerer said:
    Hi Tori_Scope, thank you for welcoming me ! ☺️ It was frightening afterwards but not so much at the time because it all happened so quickly. I was so lucky that the council worker was so close. He ran across the road and was lifting and pushing within just a minute; I had nothing to give him and feel gutted that I couldn’t thank him more but he truly saved me. I haven’t attempted the crossing in the chair since. I had only been over it five times and the sixth I got stuck. I guess partly I’m asking if this was down to my powerchair, bad luck or whether this is something that people avoid (crossing level crossings)
    Hi @Tinkerer

I can imagine that was extremely scary and I'm really sorry that you had to experience that! I'm glad you're looking at other power chairs and I think it's good to consider other options which might provide more safety etc. @Poppy_ seems to have made an excellent suggestion, have you heard of the Invacare TDX SP2 power chair before?

I hope we've been able to answer some of your questions :) 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • _witchcore
    _witchcore Community member Posts: 32 Connected
    edited December 2021
    Hi, this is a genuine suggestion (and one that hopefully doesn't appear rude) but are you sure you're using the right type of powerchair for your needs?

I have only ever loaned a powerchair through wheelchair services but I know others buy or lease their own.

I've had three EPIOCs - electrically powered indoor outdoor chairs -  and on all of them the castors/tyres at the front were wide and chunky enough to glide over a gap like that with no problems. 5 days a week I have to travel 6 miles in total going school and back twice a day. There's no bus and barely any proper dropped kerbs and I'm managing.

My chair is heavy but it's a beast. It's an Invacare Mirage with a kerb climber fitted. I had Quickies in the past and they had no problems with kerbs etc but the bad pavements where I live rattled them apart. The first one was refurbished and must have previously been in an accident as the first time I went up a slight kerb the metal buckled. The second one lasted longer but one day I narrowly avoided a new sink hole and the curvature of the path caused all 4 wheels to be at different heights which snapped the welding.

The Mirage I have now is much better in general but none of them would have had trouble with a level crossing. I used to get taxis to work so could only take my transit chair and the front castors would get stuck in the tram tracks outside the building. That's why I ask if you're sure you're using the right type of chair. I don't mean to be patronising at all, I just can't imagine a chair that's meant to be used outdoors having a design flaw like that. It must have been horrifying for you.

I would speak to NHS wheelchair services and tell them your concerns about their chair or if isn't one of theirs they may be able to help you decide which one is most suitable for you. You may, if you want to, be able to get help towards the new one. 

Brightness