Not a good start to festivities — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Not a good start to festivities

Options
janer1967
janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
Well last night my son dislocated his knee and after a visit to a&e where a doctor came out to the car and gave him gas and air and put it back in place (you could hear his screams across the car park ) 

Then a wait for xray and finally at 2am came out in full leg brace and crutches 

Have to cancel lots of plans now including planned weekend away next week to Silverstone f1 centre and space museum 

Will be more time off school which up till now had 100% attendance all term 

Two invalids in the house is going to be interesting 

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. It’s awful when you have to cancel plans. Hope all goes well for him. 
  • janer1967
    Options
    It's a 2 mile walk to school @Username_removed and I have no other means of getting him there 
    He can home school not as tho they do much last few weeks b4 break up 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh no @janer1967! I hope he recovers well, and feels a bit better by Christmas :)

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 537 Pioneering
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your son @janer1967 , and having to cancel plans. I wish him a speedy recovery and hope you still have a lovely christmas this year.

All the best.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Just a thought, maybe ask the school or the local authority if they can provide taxi travel? I remember when I was at school we had a lad that was on crutches a while and they provided this, although I don’t know how common this is now. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    In wales they provide  transport to school in these circumstances but its normal if a child lives thst far from school they get a school bus pass pass don't know how things in England work 
  • janer1967
    Options
    @lisathomas50 the nearest bus stop that gets him to school is nearly as far away as school 

Will see what school suggest but as still lots still home schooling due to covid think they will just tell him to do that 

I think school may do a pick up will have to see 

The main work over next 2 weeks is his end of term tests which he could do from home 

Would have to do a risk assessment if he was in school on  crutches I would think 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @janer1967 sorry to hear that, and so near Christmas, do hope he's ok and gets well soon.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @janer1967 very true if his school has more than one floor probably better to home school its so close to Xmas  hope you get something sorted bless him so close to Xmas 
  • janer1967
    Options
    There are 3 floors but they do have lifts 

They put the injured into a separate class so don't even have their normal lessons teachers just send work through to them which in my opinion he can do that at home at least till he more mobile 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    @janer1967 yes makes more sense and less disruption 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your son, & hope he feels much better soon. I'm sure he'll be fine doing home schooling, & probably won't complain about that.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,596 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to read about this, I hope he gets better soon
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,861 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh dear,  hopefully recovers soon, I would opt for home schooling.
  • janer1967
    Options
    On a good note toby now realising how difficult it is when you can't walk far or in my case at all and why I ask for his help 

We are certainly having a challenging time can't just send him to shop for milk 

Sure we will get by and at least my bf finishes work on 15th so will be around to help rather than working away 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear what's happened @janer1967 I hope Toby recovers soon :) It's good that he's also experiencing a new perspective, and as frustrating as it is for both of you, it's only temporary. It's not that much longer until the 15th either, but I'm sure you'll be the dream team by then anyway!
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Reg
    Reg Community member Posts: 109 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @janer1967

Really sorry to hear about your son.

It isn't a great time of year to be on crutches as the pavements are so slippy with the wet and leaves and I imagine the school corridors would be rather slippery and crowded as well.

In my day, schools did not bother about those issues but I think they are all far more health and safety conscious nowadays.

Hopefully his friends will be able to visit him so he doesn't feel "out of the loop"

Regards Reg 
    Reg

I am a Scope volunteer.
  • janer1967
    Options
    Had follow up call from consultant today 

He starts physio in 2 weeks but till then to limit walking till swelling gone down and stay in brace and only to take it off for personal hygiene 

She said no school this week and unless school can provide transport not to walk all the way the following week 

So now waiting to see what school suggest 

I'm shattered this is hard work 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope the physiotherapy goes well when that comes around @janer1967 :)
    I'm shattered this is hard work 
    I can imagine! Will your partner be able to help at all when they've finished working?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness