Worried & confused. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Worried & confused.

weatherwax
weatherwax Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited December 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi. Sorry if this is a long post. I am hoping someone can advise me please. I am in receipt of PIP, no other benefits except NI contributions. I have started a 4.5 week temporary job as a supervisor during a seasonal event. My role is to mainly supervise (new to the event) staff, sit at a till pressing buttons & delegating where staff need to be & what they need to be doing while also dealing with any enquiries. So nothing that contradicts my PIP claim. I received a phone call today from the DWP about the contributions, which then led to them asking how many hours/day I will be doing. I was totally honest with them and the job is all above board, paying my tax & NI Contributions. After talking for a while the lovely lady said it would have to go to a DM. Im not sure if she means regarding the contributions, whether they will stop them while working (I thought they did that automatically once HMRC informed them since they are coming out of my wages) or if they will continue, or if I will have to ring them when the event is over to reinstate the contributions. Or if she meant my working while on PIP will go to the DM. Hence my confusion & worry...I was under the impression that I am allowed to do some work even though I am disabled. Also I didnt realise I am supposed to let them know if I am going to be doing this yearly event in advance as it is touch & go if I am well enough to do the full 4.5 weeks. I thought it would all automatically be passed on via HMRC. I also do not earn enough in the only 4.5wks out of the year to pay tax? But do know I pay the contributions side out of the wages I earn. Sorry if this doesnt make sense my fibro fog is not good today so any clarity anyone can give me on what is right or wrong in my situation would be greatly appreciated. TIA  
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't think this will have anything to so with PIP. Did the caller say which department they were calling from?

If you are claiming NI credits due to having Limited Capability for Work then you are supposed to tell them if you carry out work. You get the NI credits if you would qualify for ESA if you met the NI contribution conditions. The credits are therefore subject to the same rules as ESA.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-and-support-allowance-permitted-work-form/permitted-work-factsheet

A DM has to decide if you have crossed the Permitted Work threshold and if you have your NI credits will stop stop. You will then need to reapply for the credits once the work stops.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • weatherwax
    edited December 2021
    Hi calcotti. The lady just said she was calling from DWP regarding NI Contributions. Then went on to ask about hours/days worked. I don't claim any benefits at all except the NI contributions. When I first became ill all I could claim was sickness benefit for 26 weeks I think it was. then when that ran out I was told I came under Limited Capabilities, then didnt have to send in sick notes. I believed the contributions had also stopped as I had heard nothing after being told I wasn't eligible for benefits as my husband earned too much...If that makes sense? 

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi calcotti. The lady just said she was calling from DWP regarding NI Contributions. Then went on to ask about hours/days worked. 
    Then it's nothing to do with PIP because PIP has nothing to do with NI contributions. As advised above you get NI credits for LCW if you meet the conditions to get ESA other than the contribution requirements.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • weatherwax
    Thank you for clearing that up for me. It is much appreciated. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.