Bad news — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bad news

danielleD
danielleD Community member Posts: 24 Connected
So it's been 10 weeks since I sent my MR and gave them a call this morning they told me the desicion has been made and a letter sent out he told me daily liveing and mobility was disaloud so I'm presuming I was given 0 points again ?. I know people say this is common to happen but I still can't help but feel realy down I put alot of time into it and was as hounest as I could be he said the letter will have all the details I need for the next steps for tribunal I felt like saying well is there realy any point? I applied due to my mental health and I just feel like nobody will believe me or think it effects me as much as I know it does. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ? I just feel so defeated ? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear this. Whether you decide to take it to Tribunal is your decision but before doing this i'd advise you to get some expert advice to check that you can score enough points for an award. Start here for this. Put your postcode in and choose the topic "welfare benefits" https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • danielleD
    Thankyou, I didn't include any exsamples like I have seen advised on here maybe that's where I went wrong 
  • danielleD
    Thankyou and I'm happy for you that you finally got what your entitled to i hope I can do the same I have came this far so I owe it to myself to go all the way, I will know more once I get my letter 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear that @danielleD. Definitely check out advicelocal.uk as poppy123456 has advised one you've received your decision letter. 

I know it can be really disheartening, but try not to let it get you too down. Many people also feel a bit invalidated if they don't get the award they feel they're entitled to, so you're certainly not alone in feeling that way.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2021
    scotleag said:
    Yes, there is a point
    To a certain extent I agree but not everyone qualifies for PIP. If you don’t meet the descriptors you won’t score the points needed for an award. You can have a disability but not qualify for PIP. 

This is the reason I advised getting some expert advice because there’s little point going any further if points can’t be scored for an award and there are some people that don’t qualify. I’m not saying the OP doesn’t qualify because we have no idea exactly how their conditions affect them. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

I would say go for tribunal if you feel you qualify 

The success rate for mr is quite low whereby tribunal success rates are much higher 

Apart from the work for you to put your case forward you don't have anything to lose unless of course it would impact on your mental health 

Good luck let us know how you get on 
  • griff11
    griff11 Community member Posts: 127 Pioneering
    If you feel you meet criteria appeal but give examples of why you meet criteria.  My daughter originally awarded zero points for her OCD.  On MR she went to 6 points so appealed and awarded higher rate on both elements.  Only awarded a "short term award" - 2 years.  No review had to reapply and awaiting outcome.  I've seen assessment report recommendation 3 extra points on daily living (from 13-15) but mobility journey planning down to 12 to 10.  A decision maker will review and make award.

I know my daughter was devastated with her zero points award initially, she felt their comments trivialised it and showed no understanding of the severity of the condition.  Have you got someone to help and support you with appeal?
  • danielleD
    Thanks everyone, the main reasons I am applying is my anxiety and depression makes it extremely difficult for me to even leave the house alone i spend most days in my pajamas and half the day in bed I struggle to engage with other people due to my anxiety and on an average day only speak and see my partner I dont even go to collect my medication every month wich is why I always run out because I cant always get somebody to get it for me or I forget to take it sometimes days at a time I was diagnosed with traits of eupd and previous anorexia with present anorexic cognitions so I go through stages of binge eating and restricting. So I do think I'm entitled to the points for those reasons 
  • griff11
    Write a day in your life.  I did for my daughter for appeal and decision maker told me it was reason for change on decision as it showed how her condition affected her life throughout the day.  My daughter is worse now, impact of Covid partly to blame, so I will appeal if her mobility award reduced as she has left house a handful of times when GP has insisted on seeing her and for her referral to hospital .  I'm not allowed in her house -contamination issues so drop prescriptions, food, clothes etc to her porch !  Writing out as typical day will help. 
  • danielleD
    griff11 said:
    Write a day in your life.  I did for my daughter for appeal and decision maker told me it was reason for change on decision as it showed how her condition affected her life throughout the day.  My daughter is worse now, impact of Covid partly to blame, so I will appeal if her mobility award reduced as she has left house a handful of times when GP has insisted on seeing her and for her referral to hospital .  I'm not allowed in her house -contamination issues so drop prescriptions, food, clothes etc to her porch !  Writing out as typical day will help. 
    Suppose its worth a try i just feel like I'm on my own with this like everything else in my life ? when you have had to put on a front even to yourself for most of your life it's acualy realy hard to put into words how bad you feel because you have done everything to hide it and have just sort of excepted this is how things will always be. I have spoke to somebody from the charity mind and somebody that deals with welfare benefits should be giveing me a call hopefully tomorrow to see how they can help me going forward and hopefully I have my decision letter by then so I can see what reasons they give this time and see if I was awarded any points at all
  • danielleD
    griff11 said:
    If you feel you meet criteria appeal but give examples of why you meet criteria.  My daughter originally awarded zero points for her OCD.  On MR she went to 6 points so appealed and awarded higher rate on both elements.  Only awarded a "short term award" - 2 years.  No review had to reapply and awaiting outcome.  I've seen assessment report recommendation 3 extra points on daily living (from 13-15) but mobility journey planning down to 12 to 10.  A decision maker will review and make award.

I know my daughter was devastated with her zero points award initially, she felt their comments trivialised it and showed no understanding of the severity of the condition.  Have you got someone to help and support you with appeal?
    Unfortunately not and clearly whether written or spoken i can not express effectively how things effect me I'm not good with things like this. I have contacted the charity mind for some support 
  • poppy123456
    When you request the Tribunal all you need to do for now is give a brief reason why you disagree with the decision. Then leave everything else until you speak to the advice agency.
    What you need to then is give a couple of real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Include information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.

• griff11
    I know it's hard writing down and speaking about the negative /difficult issues on your like.  My daughter says she's not ashamed of having OCD but she's often embarrassed by it's affects on her behaviour .  If you had a physical issue say you had a mastectomy on one side , you wouldn't be ashamed you had breast cancer but you might feel awkward or embarrassed by it's affect on your appearance.  Understanding of MH conditions is improving but there is still ignorance.  There is no look to MH as people spend their lives hiding it .  Open up to family /friends if you can.  I'm not saying it's easy .  My daughter worked for a company where the Director handles her disability badly !  Ironic that the company was a MH care provider.  She now works public sector .  Declared he disability on application and they have been supportive.  
  • danielleD
    I'm glad your daughter is in a better more understanding environment job now, and unfortunately I don't get support from my family they are well aware that I isolate myself because its just easier that way it definitely doesn't make me happy that I have no emotional support and im reminded constantly that everyone has thier own problems and thats from my own family my biggest upset is that I know I have nobody that realy cares how I feel that hurts alot but what can I do? As for friends I dont put myself in the position to meet people and I dont think I'll ever know real friendship my eupd makes it harder for me to maintain relationships so I kind of gave up my self esteem and confidence is non existent 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.