Coffee — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Coffee

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
Just wondering what method people tend to use to make their coffee…

Do you have a machine (if so what kind, not what make, though you are welcome to share that, but I mean what type: pod, bean to cup, etc.) or do you use a cafetière or something similar? Or do you stick to instant coffee?

At the moment I use a basic pod machine but I’ve been doing a lot of research recently (sad I know) and instead of getting an expensive new coffee machine I now think I’m going to start using a cafetière with freshly ground coffee … I might ask for an electric grinder for Christmas.

Just wondering what others do, and am interested to know from those who have tried several different methods: which was your favourite?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I mainly just have instant but I have a pod machine as well 

I like the old coffee machines where you put a paper filter in and the ground coffee , they had a glass jug which sat on warming plate so you could make full jug and it kept warn on the hot plate 
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks @janer1967, I’ve not heard of those, will look them up
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm an instant fan usually nescafe or m&s, daughter has one of the pod machines which sadly we don't have room for.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    @woodbine I like Nescafé when it comes to instant as well, we get one with silver packaging and a red lid. I can’t remember the name right now but it looks posh but is always half price!
  • 66Mustang
    Ahh just had a look and it’s actually Kenco that we get not Nescafé!
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Instant Kenco Smooth 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,765 Disability Gamechanger
    Kenco instant intence really nice.  Got 1 now. I do like coffee pods as well, also coffee shop
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I enjoy Nescafé Azera instant coffee, Americano mostly but Nescafé gold blend espresso is nice too. I also have kenco coffee sometimes.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I've been using Rington's Italian Style Dark Roast (instant) for well over a year, which I really enjoy.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    I don’t use instant coffee because I don’t like it. I have a dolce gusto pod machine. Also love costa. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    I have a pod machine now, which is what I usually use these days, but I have a cafetiere too. They're easy to use, and you can get some really nice coffees. There's some decent own brand cafetiere coffee out there too. The only thing I found with cafetieres is that it could take a little while for it to get to the strength I like it (reasonably strong), by which time I'd sometimes forget I'd done it :D or it'd gone a little cold.

I of course have instant coffee too, and that's where I started. One of my favourite instant coffees is the Nescafe Gold Blend Origins Alta Rica one, but it's quite expensive even when on offer.

What kind of coffee do you tend to drink @66Mustang? e.g. do you add milk, do you like frothed milk etc.?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks everyone for the answers :)

Hi @Tori_Scope I tend to just drink regular coffee - I have it black with no sugar - but with instant coffee I do add milk or cream and sugar

I also like an espresso using my machine but they are quite dear as I find I need to use 2 pods to get a decent amount and it’s £3.50 odd for 16 shots

Finally I like the espresso maker on the stove (Bialetti?) but don’t make those very often. They are very nice though :)
  • Sandy_123
  • 66Mustang
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Looks very nice and creamy @Sandy_123 :) is that a latte?

@66Mustang, I do love coffee but trying to drink less of it as I find it gives me withdrawal headaches when I don't have any! We invested in a Sage bean to cup coffee machine last year during lock down and it's been the best purchase of the year. Although expensive, we are paying for it in installments, so the cost is spread over the year. It makes lovely coffees and we've been trying our luck at latte art with the milk steamer...can't say I'm very good at it though :D. Do you drink a lot of coffee?
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • 66Mustang
    @Libby_Scope I have heard great things about bean to cup machines, I’m glad you are enjoying yours :smiley:

I only have 1-2 coffees a day so not sure I could justify a machine like that myself

I just found out I’m getting the grinder for Christmas so it will be freshly ground coffee in the cafetière from now on :smiley: 

I guess I’m lucky in a way, or maybe not lucky but it’s the silver lining of not being able to work, in that I have lots of spare time, so I can take the time in the morning to have a cafetière coffee. If I had a job and had to be out of the door by 7.30 I’d probably use a machine!
  • Sandy_123
    No was a flat white my treat today

Brightness