ADHD and Access to work scheme - what's covered? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ADHD and Access to work scheme - what's covered?

bp12345
bp12345 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2021 in Work and employment
I'm self employed and recently diagnosed with ADHD - my finances aren't great at the moment and my psychiatrist told me to look into the access to work scheme when I mentioned to him I'm working 80-100 hours a week.

Can't find much information online about what is covered and wondered if anyone on here has gone through the same process - what was covered for you and what is the rough timeline?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    It depends what exactly you require. If you can give more information someone will be able to give more advice.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bp12345 :) Welcome to the community! It's great to have you with us.

Gosh, 80-100 hours a week seems like a lot. 

You can read about the Access to Work scheme on the gov.uk website, which explains a little bit about the kind of support you could access. 

This customer factsheet on the gov.uk website also covers some information about self-employment, along with some other key information.

You've mentioned that you're self-employed - do you work alone?

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bp12345

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. I especially appreciate that you have already found the courage to reach out to us for support. I always recognise how much courage it must take to reach out, especially for the first time.

It is understandable that you are feeling uncertain about Access to Work. Thankfully though, we are here to support you. Exceptional Individuals created a very insightful video about Access to Work which you might find useful. If you are interested, you can access the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MHpKNp1dGY. 

More formally, as highlighted by @Tori_Scope, there is also the Government's information about Access to Work. Though, I find the Government website focuses on eligibility rather than support. 

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Dan198523
    Dan198523 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    depending on what support you need Access to work can be difficult to navigate , happy to discuss if you message me, regards Dan
  • onebigvoice
    onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 736 Pioneering
    bp12345 said:
    I'm self employed and recently diagnosed with ADHD - my finances aren't great at the moment and my psychiatrist told me to look into the access to work scheme when I mentioned to him I'm working 80-100 hours a week.

Can't find much information online about what is covered and wondered if anyone on here has gone through the same process - what was covered for you and what is the rough timeline?
      I have a brother in law who has the same, and I managed to get him into Uni/college doing computer programming and gaming programming, he has two days on line tutoring and 3 days at college.
      working 80 - 100 hours is a bit excessive and I know you are self employed but you need rest in order to perform well.  Try to limit the hours in a day that you work and take regular breaks, you will be surprised how different you are physically, its not so draining, 
      I don't know what ADHD you want to cover? as if self employed you really have to start paying your self a decent wage and plan for things like sickness and pensions as the future may hold something new in the coming year.  
      By the way enjoy your time here.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    bp12345 said:

Hey @bp12345 :) 

I just wanted to check in to see how you're getting on if you had managed to take a look at any of the above resources that our members have provided? 

80-100hrs of working a week is a lot! I can imagine that's tough to manage and that you might not get as much down time as you'd like, when working such a hectic schedule. Do you manage to take some time out for yourself and do things outside of work?

Take care and if you have any further questions, then please just let us know.

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 

Brightness