Hello — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello

Options
Haemogoblin
Haemogoblin Community member Posts: 7 Listener
My name is Haemogoblin!

I have been a survivor of insulin dependant diabetes since August 1982.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community Feel free to join in or ask any questions 

I am also insulin dependant diabetic for about 30 years as are lots of other members here 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Haemogoblin :) It's great to have you with us! How are you doing today?

Thanks for sharing that you've been living with diabetes since 1982. How do you find managing the condition?

As janer1967 has said, we have other members here who live with diabetes, so you're in good company. Please give us a shout if you need any help finding your way around. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Haemogoblin
    Options
    Hi Tori_Scope,

I manage quite well with diabetes providing I can keep stress levels down! Stress can send my blood glucose into crazy mode. 

I manage my condition with the Freestyle sensor and beeps if blood glucose goes out of range, this helps tremendously.

Thank you for asking?
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Haemogoblin

Thanks for providing us with more information about yourself. We always like to feel we get to know you. Though, this can also be about your hobbies and interests if you wish to talk to us about that. It is great to hear you have found ways to manage your diabetes. How are you currently feeling?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Haemogoblin
    Options
    Hi @Teddybear12,

Yeah I'm good thank you ?
  • Haemogoblin
    Options
    Hi @L_Volunteer,

I'm feeling pretty good thank you for asking and I'm very glad I have found this forum because how friendly, kind, considerate and understanding everybody has been and this also includes your self.

I am always a survivor and never a victim and this mentality helps me bounce back when I face the odd 'challenge' now and again?
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Haemogoblin :) 

Welcome to the community! Thanks for joining us all and for sharing a bit about yourself :) I'm really glad that you found the community too. Out of curiosity, how did you hear about us?

It's great that you've been able to manage your diabetes well and have discovered what your triggers are (e.g., stress). I have PoTs (a nervous system dysfunction) and I also find stress to be a huge trigger. How do you manage stress currently? I understand that we all have to deal with stress in our lives, but it's about building resilience to it, and I find that meditation and breathwork really helps me :) 

I couldn't agree more with that mindset, that's very positive and I admire your mental strength.

If we can help with anything else, then please just let us know :)

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 

Brightness