Student maintenance loan and unversial credit help plz — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Student maintenance loan and unversial credit help plz

Options
Jimmy901
Jimmy901 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited December 2021 in Education
Hiya I was wondering if somebody please could help me. I'm am going university as disable student  in January and was wondering if it would affect my  claim for lwca and pip cliam in that of my reductions?. I was wondering if somebody could help me with the figures as I'm recipient of £1200  unversial lwca and the minimum amount of pip? I should be entitled to 9000 student finance, including the disability part? Thanks you.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Jimmy901 good evening and welcome to scope, whilst I do know that your PIP will not be affected i'm not 100% sure about the rest but somebody will know so I suggest you check tomorrow for replies.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you get 9000 is thst for a year? I am doing open University  and I get grants 
  • Jimmy901
    Jimmy901 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Yes for the year. I was  recommended,for the course through my support team and was  wondering what I have to budget? If they deduct my UC or housing benefit?
  • mia97
    mia97 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    Options
    Hey!

When I went to university, I took out a student loan for maintenance and it did not impact my PIP claims. The reason for this was because I would be living back at home every weekend (due to work). I would phone student finance and ask them directly, because they have a department which will be able to help you with these sort of questions. Also, perhaps speak with the university, they will have a student finance department. Hope this helps, good luck??
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I dont lose anything but I don't get as much as you I think its best to speak to student finance but if you divide it through the year it may not affect you but in your case I don't realy know 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Rules for students are complicated but broadly any student maintenance loan available to you will be taken into account as income and deducted from your UC. The amount to be taken each month will be the loan amount divided by the period of the course the loan is for. So if the course covers 10 months of the year (excludes the summer vacation) the monthly amount would £900/month which would be deducted from the UC.

DWP guidance here
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/907998/admh6.pdf

As others have said, PIP is not affected.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Jimmy901 :) 

I hope the above comments have been able to answer your queries? From a personal perspective, I'm a postgraduate student and I found the student disability advice services to be really helpful when discussing different benefits/payments. It might be worthwhile getting in contact with them to see what they suggest too? It's also a useful contact to have, as it's likely you will come into correspondence with them during your university career. For example, from my own experience, I was advised to disclose my conditions to the disability advice team, so I could be entitled to Disability Student Allowance (DSA). 

I will move your post into our our 'education' category, to encourage other members to share their advice too. If you have any other questions, then please don't hesitate to ask :)

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 

Brightness