Films, TV Series and YouTube Reccommendations — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Films, TV Series and YouTube Reccommendations

mia97
mia97 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
Hey all!

I really enjoy watching films, tv series and YouTube.

I tend to re-watch the same things repetitively, which I don't mind because I find it comforting (as I know what to expect). However, I am looking for new things to watch.

Any recommendations are welcomed?

Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,612 Disability Gamechanger
    Whilst I don't watch "live" TV I do like digging stuff out thats available for streaming, just watched "Jericho" on Amazon prime about 30 forty minute episodes and a great story.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I like films like, the edge, needful things or misery. I also like Lucy but it’s been on the box a lot so you’ve probably seen it. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Prison break on netflix and Line of duty for a start off 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,570 Disability Gamechanger
    I know what you mean about watching the same things repetitively, I do the same as like you say you know what to expect. I find there are many things on TV and in film that can “trigger” my issues so I tend to watch the same old stuff.

I prefer “innocent” stuff like old comedies. Things like action or thriller films have more triggers for me. Also modern fast paced programs like Line of Duty have a lot of triggers I’ve found. 

I wouldn’t know what to recommend for you as I don’t know exactly why you avoid new things and what it is you are trying to avoid but I just thought I’d share my thoughts :)
  • mia97
    66Mustang said:
    I know what you mean about watching the same things repetitively, I do the same as like you say you know what to expect. I find there are many things on TV and in film that can “trigger” my issues so I tend to watch the same old stuff.

I prefer “innocent” stuff like old comedies. Things like action or thriller films have more triggers for me. Also modern fast paced programs like Line of Duty have a lot of triggers I’ve found. 

I wouldn’t know what to recommend for you as I don’t know exactly why you avoid new things and what it is you are trying to avoid but I just thought I’d share my thoughts :)
    Thank you for your thoughts, I completely understand and can relate to the things you have mentioned.

My fault, I perhaps should have given an indicator as to what sort of things I enjoy. In regards to the types of genres I enjoy, I like the majority of things, just no horrors please! My mind cannot cope with that sort of stuff. However, I do like comedies, action, thriller, documentaries, crime, etc.

The challenge is this, I have to enjoy something within the first few minutes, otherwise there is no chance at all?it's such an annoying trait of mine, but I can't help it. I think it may be due to being autistic, so I have to find it interesting enough, otherwise my attention span is gone. Although, if I enjoy something, then I'll watch it multiple of times or binge watch the whole series as fast as possible. Example, Greys Anatomy, there are 18 seasons, I started in November...I'm now on season 17?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    What sort of things do you enjoy watching on YouTube @mia97?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • mia97
    What sort of things do you enjoy watching on YouTube @mia97?
    I watch true crime, vlogs, Dude Perfect, Mr Beast - a whole range of things. I tend to watch YouTube videos whilst completing other tasks. For example, when washing up, working or cleaning the house - it makes it easier to remained focussed.?

What sort of things do you enjoy watching on YouTube?

Do you have any channel recommendations? - I would like to expand my YouTube videos.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    I do the same @mia97 :) I like the background noise, and it's a bit different to listening to music all of the time. 

Have you watched any of JCS - Criminal Psychology's videos? I find them really interesting. 

I've also been watching a few cross examinations for court cases that were broadcasted publicly recently. I realise it's a bit odd, but I find it quite easy to get absorbed in them!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mia97

What a great thread, thanks for initiating it. I just want to jump in to say there's a lot of true crime on Netflix. I particularly liked watching a series called girls incarcerated. If you don't have Netflix, I am sure there will be similar things on other apps, just less sure what these would be. Please feel free to let us know what apps you have access to and between us, I am sure we can help you to find something!  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness