Home Adaptions advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Home Adaptions advice

Luchia
Luchia Community member Posts: 255 Pioneering
Hello everyone!

Was hoping to get a little advice if possible, currently I live in a large one bedroom council flat, to give you a bit more background info I'll try and describe my current home.
Large 1 bedroom first floor flat, own private entrance(not a communal entrance) and a spare room(called a sun room but about the size of a box bedroom).

To get into my flat I have a private entrance(same as a houses front door that leads to my staircase and living area)

More recently I have been struggling to get in and out of the bath alone and my partner has to help and I struggle a little getting up and down the stairs to front door, I can manage it without pain it just takes me longer and by the time I read the door whoever was knocking has usually gone.

I've spoken to the council and was given 2 choices, first was to move into a ground floor flat but was told it would have a communal entrance and would be much smaller than mine as it would be a new build(my flat is from the 60s but was modernised, much bigger than new flats as it was built before housing crisis).
For me this isn't an option at all I have point blank refused to move to a smaller flat with communal entrances.

Second option was to have an assessment for someone to come to look at what adaptions could be done, I've agreed to this option and been put on a waiting list, but they couldn't really give me any kind of idea on what these adaptions could be, so I was hoping someone on here could maybe give me a rough idea of what they do?

I'm only 35 but was diagnosed with severe lumbar spinal stenosis but I take Zomorph(prolonged release morphine) every 12 hours which I was told I will remain on for life now.
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    An Occupational Therapist will come to your home and assess your needs. They will ask you what exactly you struggle with and who helps etc etc. At the end of the assessment they will either tell you whether there's any help available to you or you will need to wait for them to write a report and then they will contact you.
    What adaptions they do will totally depend on what your needs are. It will also depend on whether those adaptions can be completed in your current home. It would be very difficult for anyone here to tell you what adaptions you maybe offered.
    Waiting lists are likely to be quite long so do be aware of that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Luchia
    Anabel said:
    Luchia

I have a question if that is Ok,I am worried about having to take morphine for life.Does it ever worry you?
    I have thought about trying CDB oil,wonder of you have ever tried that for pain.

Anabel
    Honestly it doesn't worry me at all, I've been taking them since 2018 with no issue
  • Luchia
    I was told since it's a council property(120 year lease) that all adaptions would be fully funded.
    Walk in shower would solve the bathroom issue completely so I shall mention that to them, the lady I spoke to said I would be placed on the High priority list but not sure what that does
  • TheAlien
    TheAlien Community member Posts: 228 Pioneering
    I think the waiting list depends on your local authority.

I've been waiting 4 years for a wet room.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Other adaptions could be stair lift , bath seat which lowers and rises you in Bath, walking frames , rollover,  ramps and so on 
  • Luchia
    Looks like things are moving a long nicely, got a letter to say my application has been granted and someone will be coming to do an assessment in a few weeks

Brightness