Changes in circumstances — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Changes in circumstances

Options
solly1902
solly1902 Community member Posts: 32 Connected
I have applied for pip in November 2021 and sent my application which was received by dwp. Since then my mental health has worsen, I am still waiting to be assessed. I am not sure what to do, am I supposed to fill in a new form ? Or do I inform them via phone call ? If so does that mean  increase in time to be assessed?

Comments

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    solly1902 said:
    I have applied for pip in November 2021 and sent my application which was received by dwp. Since then my mental health has worsen, I am still waiting to be assessed. I am not sure what to do, am I supposed to fill in a new form ? Or do I inform them via phone call ? If so does that mean  increase in time to be assessed?
    Hi @solly1902 :) 

How are you today?

Thank you for your post. I can imagine that was a huge relief submitting your application and well done for completing it :). I'm sorry to hear that your mental health has worsened. Firstly, are you in contact with your GP about your mental health? Do you feel supported with this?

With regards to informing the DWP, I think it would be best to call the PIP enquiry line, as stated below:

I'm not entirely sure if updating your case will prolong your time for an assessment. This is something that you could potentially ask over the phone and they will be able to give you a clearer idea about timelines etc.

I hope that's helpful and please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    With a worsening of condition it must have been present for at least 3 months so you don't need to contact them. You simply tell them everything during your assessment because most people have them.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • solly1902
    Options
    Thank you so much. Yes I have notified my gp and also getting support from a local mental health team. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @solly1902

I am really pleased to hear you are in contact with and receiving support from your GP and local mental health team. How are you currently feeling?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • solly1902
    Options
    My goodness. What is this thing with the PIP helpline? They have zero technical knowledge and their sole reputation is for what could politely be described as **** poor advice. DWP staff have no advice giving function. No duty of care. The kind itself is now outsourced too. It’s essentially a con. A bunch of people with a set if scripts for given scenarios. They are the last place to seek any kind of benefits advice. 

If you have had a deterioration in your condition it’s important to remember that that in itself is not a change of circumstances and never has been. A CoC is something which would impact entitlement. So the first thing to do is to decide how many points you would be likely to score in the first place and then whether the deterioration would have any impact at all. So, for example, if a WR adviser thought you were obviously on for 12 points and enhanced rate then there’s nothing to be shined by reporting anything. Bottom line. Https://advicelocal.uk. Get advice. 
    thank you.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.