Hi, my name is emmafardy! My youngest son has autism and ADHD and I'm looking for some support — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is emmafardy! My youngest son has autism and ADHD and I'm looking for some support

Options
emmafardy
emmafardy Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited December 2021 in Start here and say hello!
Hi im emma. I'm a mum of 6 my youngest son has autism and adhd and I'm looking for some support. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Good morning @emmafardy and welcome to the community. What sort of support were you looking for?

If you'd like to explore further, we've got categories on Autism and neurodiversity and Children, parents, and families, which you are welcome to browse or start discussions in.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you need a hand with anything, we're here to help :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • monsieur
    monsieur Community member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Hello
    My mate has autism and he is alright. I am pretty sure he will be ok.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @emmafardy - & welcome to the community. Scope has some Family services that you may like to have a look at. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/family-services/
    As you will see, 'Navigate' is for those with a child diagnosed in the last year, but there's also 'Parents Connect,' which is currently online, which you may find helpful if 'Navigate' isn't a possibility.

• emmafardy
    Options
    Hi I've done referral to navigate to be honest this is all new to me and I'm learning everyday. 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @emmafardy :) 

Welcome to the community, it's great to have you here with us. 

Thank you for sharing a little bit about yourself and your son's experiences. As @Alex_Scope suggested, we have a really informative autism and neurodiversity category that might be helpful for you. I would also recommend taking a browse in the coffee lounge, as it's a great place to meet new friends and play some fun games (a lot of them are very festive at the moment).

If you have any other questions, please just let us know and I'm sure one of our members will be able to answer accordingly :)

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @emmafardy - it's great you're going to try 'Navigate' as we've had many parents who have said it's been very helpful. :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community from me too 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community from me too @emmafardy :) It's great to have you on board, and to hear that you've done a referral for our Navigate service. 

I can imagine that you could be feeling quite lost at the moment, as everything is so new and there's no universal 'handbook' on dealing with these things. 

Is your son at school now? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @emmafardy

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. I especially appreciate that you have already found the courage to reach out. I always recognise how much courage it must take to reach out, especially for the first time.

It must feel overwhelming, especially if you are new to it. I am just wondering if there's anything, in particular, you are hoping to learn or need support with? Neurodiversity is indeed one of my main areas of expertise but I'm afraid I need autism and ADHD narrowed before I can provide the most effective support I can.

Take care for now and I will look forward to speaking with you again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • emmafardy
    Options
    Hi im just not sure about either to be honest I got the diagnosis amd nothing more 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @emmafardy

Thanks for getting back to us, and I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling quite uncertain about things. 

Have you had any conversations with your son's GP about your concerns since the diagnosis?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @emmafardy

Oh no, that must be difficult. I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that autism and ADHD will both affect everyone differently and you know your son best.

However, some useful information sources include the ADHD Foundation (https://adhdfoundation.org.uk/) and the National Autistic Society (https://www.autism.org.uk/)

I hope these resources help but if you come across any specific questions or areas of concern, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again soon! <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness