The Truth About Disability Benefits - new Channel 4 programme tomorrow — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The Truth About Disability Benefits - new Channel 4 programme tomorrow

Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
There'll be a Dispatches episode on 'The Truth About Disability Benefits' (Channel 4) tomorrow (Friday) at 7:30pm. I'm sure it'll be available on Channel 4's on-demand service, All4, afterwards in case you miss it.

The episode investigates the unexpected deaths of disabled benefits claimants, including those who have taken their own lives.

Benefits and Work have outlined that
Some of the relatives of deceased claimants are speaking out on television for the first time, to explain how the system contributed to the deaths of their loved ones. 

There’s also testimony from a whistle-blower from inside the department who talks of staff having a dismissive and mocking attitude toward claimants.  
Will you be watching the episode tomorrow? What do you hope the episode covers? What do you hope the consequence of the episode airing will be?
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,607 Disability Gamechanger
    Sadly I doubt it will make any difference it won't be the first such programme.
    We now have a government that is quite literally a law unto itself, and a DWP that makes more bad decisions than good ones.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    I will watch it at sometime I hope it will make people realise the battle some of us go through to get the financial support 

But it won't change anything people will have forgot about the programme by the next day if it doesn't affect them or someone they know 
  • Tori_Scope
    people will have forgot about the programme by the next day if it doesn't affect them or someone they know 
    I agree that this is unfortunately true for a lot of subjects @janer1967. Do you have any ideas on what could be done more generally to increase the public's awareness of the negative effects that the process of claiming benefits can have?

• serenity2
    serenity2 Community member Posts: 250 Pioneering
    This programme does not appear to be available to watch on All 4 ? Is there a delay. 
    I’ve tried several times to watch it since broadcast, to no avail 
     :)
    Best Wishes
    serenity2 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Yeah I checked that before and it’s listed but says no episodes available. It may just take a while before it’s put up for catch up. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 174 Listener
    edited December 2021
    This is not available on all4 even a day later, I suspect it won't be available at all or maybe a couple weeks later. Programmes that were broadcast later are able to be watched but not this one. I'm gutted cos my bf wanted to watch Spiderman. 
  • Tori_Scope
    I had a look on All4 during my break, and was able to start playing the episode on there, so I think it's been put up now :) 

• hsm
    hsm Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Have been on PIP for the last 8 years and now am having my 3rd Re Assessment.I suffer from a Disability.It is a nightmare doing it all over again.It causes a lot of distress.It is crazy that its based on a points system and not your illness.Also the process is so long.Its now been nearly 8 weeks.It does make you feel suicidal
  • Tori_Scope
    We've heard similar thoughts from many of our other members, so you're not alone in feeling that way @hsm. Have you watched the Dispatches programme? 
    It does make you feel suicidal
    Do you mind me asking if this is something you're experiencing at the moment? 

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    I had a look on All4 during my break, and was able to start playing the episode on there, so I think it's been put up now :) 
    Yes I can now access it too. 
  • hsm
    We've heard similar thoughts from many of our other members, so you're not alone in feeling that way @hsm. Have you watched the Dispatches programme? 
    It does make you feel suicidal
    Do you mind me asking if this is something you're experiencing at the moment? 

• hsm
    Yes I did watch the Dispatches program and it was distressing watching it.What really upsets me is that what you are entitled to is based on a points scoring system and not your illness.It is Saturday today and I should be relaxing instead the thoughts of my PIP re assessment keep coming to my head.I really hate the whole setup.Last time when I went to an assessment I  had to appeal my award.I worked for over 20 years and its not my fault I suffer from a Disability.It could happen to anyone.
  • hsm
    I suffer from Schizoaffective Disorder and you do get suicidal thoughts sometimes.The PIP assessments to be honest does make it worse.Sometimes it is a struggle getting out of bed and even doing basic things.
  • Tori_Scope
    I'm sorry that it's been causing you so much worry at the moment @hsm. I know it's easier said than done, but sometimes it's best just to try and put it out of your mind and fill your time with other things. 

Are you receiving enough support for your schizoaffective disorder at the moment? Do you have a good support network around you to help you out when you feel unable to get out of bed and doing basic things?

• onebigvoice
    onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 741 Pioneering
    I thank you for the link.  I must have been half asleep not to see all these comments.
      I still believe that we/together will get some thing done and need to report each error whether its to the DWP/PIP's or your M P.
      Yes one letter does not cause a change but if every one wrote to their MP's in mass and all wrote the same thing, e.g.  write a stereo type letter which only requires your name and address into it and says some thing like:  I have just had an assessment at ........... by ..........  on the ........... where the report did not reflect the disabilities or conditions I have.  I have enclosed a snap shot of my medical history and up to date prescription list, and have also enclosed my Assessment Report and points I have disagreed with, this in line with the M R and right of access.
    or add this bit.......  

I have had a Tribunal which has given me back my benefits ( and what you were given ) yet I had received a phone call before the tribunal making an offer before I had actually saw the offer and my listing was taken down.  Both go against the Tribunal Charter.  Can you advise me how they had made an offer and removed my listing before I had seen the offer.

Now I am not saying that you need to use the above to send they are just ideas, and am sure that others can and will come up with better ones but it gives you a blank for a start, and when posted don't just rip it apart without trying to improve it.  Lets see what we can come up with.
      If there is a document already on file please show the link to that as I believe we have more clout that we are given credit for.

• hsm
    I'm sorry that it's been causing you so much worry at the moment @hsm. I know it's easier said than done, but sometimes it's best just to try and put it out of your mind and fill your time with other things. 

Are you receiving enough support for your schizoaffective disorder at the moment? Do you have a good support network around you to help you out when you feel unable to get out of bed and doing basic things?

• hsm
    The support is there but  its just the PIP Re Assessment which is causing a lot of anxiety and stress.I will just have to cope with until it is sorted.But now I know am not the only one and it does effect a lot of people who are claiming PIP.
  • Tori_Scope
    Though you're not alone, it can still feel quite isolating, and doesn't take away from how stressful it must be for you @hsm. Fingers crossed it all goes well :) 

• onebigvoice
    onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 741 Pioneering
    You appear to be using this as an opportunity to talk about your own case once again @onebigvoice. That’s fine but you are also, once again, spreading misinformation. There is no tribunal charter relevant to this discussion. 

So are you saying that there is a charter but not in this particular topic?
    If so quote it not just say relevant to this topic?

Brightness