CanI be charged by Disability Advocate when money wasn't discussed? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

CanI be charged by Disability Advocate when money wasn't discussed?

butterflycake
butterflycake Community member Posts: 17 Listener
edited December 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi,

I arranged for a disability advocate to be part of a assessment call. This was cancelled . The advocate keeps messaging/emaling invoicing me? I didn't realise I was being charged. Also how can I be charged for something I didn't agree to?

I am just upset, as I paid a membership for this page. I feel foolish for not understanding. But I have gone through everything and they never messaged with a price or fee. Can I be charged for something even though it was cancelled and it wasn't my fault?

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @butterflycake :) How are you feeling today?

I'm afraid I'm not 100% sure on the answer to your question. I can imagine that it'd be upsetting to receive an invoice when you weren't expecting one. Have you spoken to anyone from the organisation to check whether you need to pay, even though the assessment ended up being cancelled?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • butterflycake
    Hi Tori, 

No I haven’t . I didn’t realise I needed to pay as nothing was discussed prior. No contract. I mean I don’t even know how to pay etc. I just keep getting invoice and texts/emails etc 

I just don’t know how I need to pay for something that didn’t go ahead. If I’m legally obliged ? But nothing was discussed . No pricing etc . But when I look at fight back there is no pricing for phone calls. 

I would probably pay if the phone call went ahead even if it wasn’t discussed. As I have no one to be there with me. I  Just I feel a bit weird to pay when I haven’t had anything etc .  Just feel more stressed over it. As have been stressed enough waiting for this appointment . :(

I just wish it was told to me beforehand. 
  • butterflycake
    HTori_Scope said:

I'm afraid I'm not 100% sure on the answer to your question. I can imagine that it'd be upsetting to receive an invoice when you weren't expecting one. Have you spoken to anyone from the organisation to check whether you need to pay, even though the assessment ended up being cancelled?

Hi Again Tori.

Sorry I forgot to say I did t tell her immediately when my appointment was cancelled . I even apologised on behalf of them.

I’ve calmed down now thank you for asking . I hope you are well ? :)
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Who is it exactly you have asked for help from? 

It probably comes down to what you agreed and what their terms and conditions say. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,341 Disability Gamechanger
     But when I look at fight back there is no pricing for phone calls. 

They always charge for all services. What exactly did they do? Did they fill out any forms, give advice over the phone? One thing that has to be said about fightback.... leave well alone. There's advice agencies out there that will help you for free.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Nashota
    Nashota Community member Posts: 71 Courageous
    Fightback are awful, I used them once and regretted it.
  • butterflycake

They always charge for all services. What exactly did they do? Did they fill out any forms, give advice over the phone? One thing that has to be said about fightback.... leave well alone. There's advice agencies out there that will help you for free.
    Hi 

no form filling. No long communication . Was just given their phone number and name and no money discussed.

no info to even how to pay and no info how much .  Yeah I regret it. I just have no one for advice . Or to guide me.
  • butterflycake
    Kerrie2k said:
    Fightback are awful, I used them once and regretted it.
    Honestly at first if the phone Call went ahead I probably would have still paid her. Even though she didn’t say. Just because I would have felt pressure . But it feels strange to request money for something that didn’t happen. 
  • butterflycake
    scorcher said:
    I don't see how they can charge you if you had no contract with them, you didn't agree a fee and there was no mention of being charged. I would reply saying that you were not told there was a fee for the service, it was cancelled so no service was provided and you have no contract or fee agreement in place. Then tell them you will not be making any payment and you respectfully ask they do not contact you again. If you have any more issues, let me know. I know of a website that offers help, completely free of charge, they have been a huge help to me.
    Thank you. I will. I just can’t stomach even emailing back . Just feel bombarded as it’s texts too.  I would have paid if the pjone cell went ahead as I’m easily pressured . But I’m financially struggling and don’t want to pay for something I couldn’t control and wasn’t told about . 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,341 Disability Gamechanger

Hi 

no form filling. No long communication
    You need to contact them and tell them this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    scorcher said:
    I don't see how they can charge you if you had no contract with them, you didn't agree a fee and there was no mention of being charged. I would reply saying that you were not told there was a fee for the service, it was cancelled so no service was provided and you have no contract or fee agreement in place. Then tell them you will not be making any payment and you respectfully ask they do not contact you again. If you have any more issues, let me know. I know of a website that offers help, completely free of charge, they have been a huge help to me.
    Thank you. I will. I just can’t stomach even emailing back . Just feel bombarded as it’s texts too.  I would have paid if the pjone cell went ahead as I’m easily pressured . But I’m financially struggling and don’t want to pay for something I couldn’t control and wasn’t told about . 
    Hi @butterflycake

I'm so sorry to hear about your experiences with this particular service and that you didn't receive the expected support that was advised. I can imagine it's overwhelming receiving lots of different texts/calls. I think the best option is to contact the service and state that you're unhappy with what has/hasn't been provided. I understand that right now, this might seem quite daunting, but when you're ready, I think it's really worthwhile getting in contact with them. As hopefully, they will be able to address any concerns that you have.

I hope it gets sorted for you, and if you have any other questions, then please just let us know.

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • butterflycake
    The very general principle is that if an organisation verbally request money they are doing so because they're unlikely to have any recourse in law. If they did then they'd just issue proceedings and be done with it.

The bar for harassment in law is relatively low. Something that organisations who charge need to bear in mind regardless of whether a debt is legitimate or not. 
    Thank you for responding.

Yes, I mean she keeps hounding me. Emailing, texting asking for me to confirm payment. I have emailed now and replied with I had no idea I had to pay or even how to pay. I just don't understand for a phone call didn't happen I am being charged.

So if ATOS cancelled again it would cost me money. I would happily have paid if the phone call went ahead even if she never told me. I am easily pressured in that way. But my gut tells me not to pay for something that didn't happen and I never agreed to.

I am just sad because this is the last thing I wanted.
  • butterflycake
    scorcher said:
    Hi @butterflycake

I'm so sorry to hear about your experiences with this particular service and that you didn't receive the expected support that was advised. I can imagine it's overwhelming receiving lots of different texts/calls. I think the best option is to contact the service and state that you're unhappy with what has/hasn't been provided. I understand that right now, this might seem quite daunting, but when you're ready, I think it's really worthwhile getting in contact with them. As hopefully, they will be able to address any concerns that you have.

I hope it gets sorted for you, and if you have any other questions, then please just let us know.

Libby

Thanks so much, Libby.

I have now emailed and just been honest. I had no idea I needed to pay. I do not even know how to or how much. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.