Autistic friends — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autistic friends

stoneland96
stoneland96 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi guys, I hope this isn't against any rules. 

I was wondering if anyone who's Autistic or has autism would like to chat or even look at becoming friends if we click :smile:  I say both as both identifiers are entirely valid. 

I'm Autistic, 24 and I'm into quizzes, geography, bus information, Bones TV Series and much more. 

We could chat in this forum and then if rules permit, maybe connect on Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp ?

Admin/moderator: If anything I've said here is against the rules, please comment so and I will remove or edit it ASAP. Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @stoneland96

Thanks for posting, I'm sure you will be able to make friends on the community :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @stoneland96

Thanks for reaching out to us. I am autistic and would be happy to chat. I know there are many others here on Scope's forum who are also autistic and would be happy to chat. In terms of quizzes, do you like watching quiz shows? If so, which ones do you enjoy watching? I particularly like The Chase and most music quizzes  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • emilia
    emilia Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Hi I'm looking to meet other like minded individuals on the Autistic spectrum and so is very hard to make friends because I'm not good at making friends. I hope you find this community well. I don't meet a lot of people very often that I have enough in common with and who I can trust enough to be friends with. Hope things are okay and would like to be in touch ?
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @emilia

Thanks for your response to @stoneland96. This was really kind and supportive of you. Thankfully there are many people with autism here on Scope's forum which should be a great opportunity for both of you to make friends with others with autism. Plus, it seems like you are already supporting each other which is fantastic to see. I will look forward to hearing from you again soon  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • emilyanne
    emilyanne Community member Posts: 68 Courageous
    I can help anyone who is autistic 
  • L_Volunteer
    emilia said:
    Hi I'm looking to meet other like minded individuals on the Autistic spectrum and so is very hard to make friends because I'm not good at making friends. I hope you find this community well. I don't meet a lot of people very often that I have enough in common with and who I can trust enough to be friends with. Hope things are okay and would like to be in touch ?
    Hi @emilia

Thanks for your response. I think you are wonderful at making friends. You have reached out to someone with a similar experience and that is how we find connections best. I think what you really mean is you haven't had lots of experiences which have allowed you to make friends.

I think we are a supportive and friendly community and I hope everyone finds the same! Would you like to tell us more about your interests to see if there is anyone on here with similar interests? 

Take care for now and I will look forward to hearing from you again soon  <3

• L_Volunteer
    emilyanne said:
    I can help anyone who is autistic 
    That's really kind of you @emilyanne

Thank you  <3

How are you today?  :)

• emilyanne
    emilyanne Community member Posts: 68 Courageous
    Fine thank you 
  • L_Volunteer
    Good, I am really glad to hear you are okay @emilyanne :)

• emilia
    It's so nice to join this forum. Thanks very much for the nice thing you said L :smile: just looking to get out and do more things. I am busy in the week and don't do anything else but work which I like to do. I love cats and Art, going out to theatre and drinking. 
    I don't know how if I'm able to cope with the new rules if people don't need to wear masks I don't want the restrictions to go because I've gotten used it. How are people feeling with going away on holiday? 
  • Danielle_2022
    Danielle_2022 Community member Posts: 266 Pioneering
    Hi there @emilia,
    I think a lot of people have found going out again to be scary and intimidating -- you're definitely not alone there! I have started to gently push myself to go out for the occasional dinner with family, which always ends up being really great, once I have taken a few deep breaths! Maybe you could try having a day out at an art gallery with a trusted friend or family member? Baby steps. There will always be an adjustment period. If that feels like too much, perhaps you could invite a friend over and make cocktails at home? There are also plenty of events still happening online, which you should be able to find with a quick Google search.

With regard to holidays, I would love to visit my partner in America this October. That's my plan. I'm building up to it! But it's definitely not easy and perhaps you might find a staycation to be less anxiety-inducing? My brother recently visited Cornwall with his fiancee for Valentine's Day, which was apparently really nice and quiet.
    Community Volunteer Host (she/her) with a passion for writing and making the world a better place for disabled people to exist.
  • L_Volunteer
    Hi @emilia

Thanks for your response. Oh, I completely hear you. I wish there were more things available at the weekend. It ignores that people are busy during the week. Though, it would seem you like to do your work. Would you like to tell us the type of work you enjoy the most?

Cats, art, going out to the theatre and drinking sound great. Have you been able to enjoy any of these recently? For example, if you don't feel comfortable going out (and I don't blame you!), are you able to enjoy art, cats, movies and drinking at home?

Honestly, I have been shielding for the last couple of years so I am not planning on going away on holiday. However, I know everyone has been affected by the pandemic in different ways and some would feel more comfortable with the idea of going away on holiday. What matters the most is that you are able to take care of yourself and do what you feel comfortable with  :)

• emilia
    Hi I am happy you're enjoying the things you been doing and would love to meet anyone who is interested with going out visiting places. I've not traveled on my own before because finding my way around places is quite challenging. I've never been to Cornwall but love to go. It's always nice to have a place where there are drinks or wine bar. I hope to meet people I  live in Newcastle Upon Tyne but haven't been able to make any friends. It does get me quite down with bieng on my own and don't get out much. I would love to go to America it's my place I would save up for visiting New York. I am happy to be in work in the NHS I work in Medical Records but only work part time. It gives me more freedom to do my other hobbies such as going for coffee places and wine bars haha 😀Hope you are enjoying fun with weather. It looks quite bad. It's nice not to have to out in horrible weather. 
  • L_Volunteer
    Hi @emilia

Thanks for your response. From what I can hear, you want to talk to other people who are also interested in travel. You haven't yet been able to make any friends and this is getting you down. I am really sorry to hear this, I can imagine feeling lonely can get tough sometimes.

Do you know what the barriers have been so far to you being able to make friends? is it about not being able to get out much? I think we are a supportive and friendly community so I hope you will be able to make some friends soon. You might have an even better chance if you post in or explore our holidays category (https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussions/tagged/holidays).

I am glad to hear you are enjoying your job. It sounds like your job gives you a work-life balance which is great to hear! I am well thank you. How are you finding this weather? I hope you are okay  :)

Brightness