Housing element amount, Private rent LCWRA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing element amount, Private rent LCWRA

ADS21
ADS21 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited December 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi i’m looking for help regarding moving out of family home into own place. 
i’m 25, single, LCWRA - UC Claim
how do you know how much rent will be covered by housing element, i know LHA rate but also see it says this is the maximum amount, does it mean it could be less or? i’m trying as hard as i can to plan but all information i come across is really confusing. 
i do not work as i am too unwell to do so. 
as i understand social housing is hard to come by so i’m looking at private renting, obviously with UC you have to update circumstances, is there a way to find out how much help you will receive for like a definite as to sign a tenancy without knowing how much help you will receive is very daunting. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Use this link and put the postcode into the area you're thinking of moving to. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/ if you'll be living alone and not receiving either daily living PIP or DLA mid/high rate care then you will be entitled to the shared rate of LHA because you're under 35. If you do receive either of those benefits then you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate.
    The LHA will likely be less than your rent.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ADS21
    Use this link and put the postcode into the area you're thinking of moving to. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/ if you'll be living alone and not receiving either daily living PIP or DLA mid/high rate care then you will be entitled to the shared rate of LHA because you're under 35. If you do receive either of those benefits then you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate.
    The LHA will likely be less than your rent.

yes i understand that and have noted down the area LHA and shared room allowance, my question is will i receive the maximum amount of shared room allowance for this and then make the additional rent an outgoing of my incoming 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    You will receive the appropriate LHA rate or your actual rent, whichever is lower. In most cases the LHA amount will be less than the rent so you will get the LHA rate. They have to say you may get less because if the rent was less that’s what you would get.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    If the rent is higher than the maximum you are entitled to then yes you would need to pay the difference. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, you will receive the maximum for the shared rate but as advised, there's usually a shortfall so you would need to find the extra money to pay towards the rent.
    Do be aware though that it's not easy to find a landlord that will accept those claiming benefits. If you're lucky enough to find someone they may ask for a guarantor.
    You can put your name down for social housing but as a single person the waiting lists are huge.. several years in a lot of areas.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ADS21
    oh i understand now why they say less, that makes so much more sense. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad to hear our members could help with your question @ADS21 :)

Do let us know if there's anything else you're unsure about, we're here to help.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.