Replying to posts — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Replying to posts

Options
janer1967
janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
Hi all 

I have noticed recently that a lot of people when replying to posts are quoting the post they are replying to 

I understand in some circumstances it is required so the reply can be focused 

However personally I find it quite hard to have to read and scroll through the quote to find what the reply is and feel a lot if the time just tagging the person is all that is required rather than putting the whole quote in the reply 

I don't know if this is just me what do others think ? 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I only tend to quote when the post i am replying to is a few post back (if that makes sense?) but I take your point.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,025 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Totally agree with this, especially when someone quotes a very long comment. It makes it very hard to read and I don’t have a visual impairment. I can’t imagine how difficult it is for those that do. When I quote something usually I quote part of it, if it’s needed. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Completely agree. When I quote I try and edit it down to the specific bit I am replying to. When very long posts are quoted in full with a very brief reply beneath it is especially irritating.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Glad you all agree 

@Adrian_Scope as a few of us are in agreement can some guidance be given , especially to the new scope admin who seem to do this for every post ? 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I also agree, tending to personally quote an appropriate portion of a previous post only when needed. Dare I say I've noticed that some of the people are members of the Scope team quoting entire posts, tho I can't see the reasoning, nor relevance, behind this. Hard to see the wood for the trees, & makes replies, & posts, unnecessarily overlong.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,025 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Glad you all agree 
     especially to the new scope admin who seem to do this for every post ? 

Yes, i've also noticed this and more so in the last few days.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback. We will take this away and also explore options with regards to quotes in general.

As ever, if you have any feedback that you’d like to give, you can do so on the community, or you can email us on community@scope.org.uk
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness