26 month wait for a Capability for Work Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

26 month wait for a Capability for Work Assessment

jbug
jbug Community member Posts: 28 Connected
Hello,

I am really at the end of my teether. I applied, on the promoting of my first work coach in October 2019 for LCWRA. Since that points the Work Capability Centre has had two sets of forms, 3 sets of medical information, I had one assessment f2f with an assessor who could not deal with me and cut the interview after 5 minutes,

I was told I did not qualify for a phone assessment, and have then been sent two. The first one I attended but they did not, however the UC decision maker ticked the wrong box, but I did not find out about this until I chased it up 4 months later. 

Was passed from Pilar to post for 3 weeks until UC admitted their mistake.

I then had an assessment booked on Tuesday, they phoned me three hours before to say they had 5 assessor's off sick, and that I would have to wait again.

I phoned Scope who suggested I put in complaints too both UC and WCAC, which I did. However, my UC complaint was not logged on the system and I had to remake it on Wednesday.

I was told by WCAC today that the complaints team are very busy and to be patient, but seeing as I booked an assessment for next Thursday on my own, maybe I didn't need to make a complaint? Also, they only have one set of forms.

I have also been trying to contact my MP, bit that is slow going.

I have been trying to contact the Independent Case Examiner but I can't get through to them.

UC have been saying all along it is WCAC who are responsible, WCAC are saying UC are responsible, and obviously I am now 26 months down the road with no assessment and no ability to complain 

I am sorry for the long post.

Comments

• jbug
    I understand that, but over the pandemic other people have been assessed, and o think that is my issue. Of everybody.had been treated this way I could understand it. But right now o feel like I am being ignored, I feel like o am being discriminated against, and I feel so low about the whole situation.

I do understand about delays, but there comes a point when people of sick and people busy are just not good enough. I don't know I think it's just getting to me, the whole not moving forward.

I do appreciate the welcome though, thank you.
  • jbug
    I think it is, but at this point I do not trust them. And I know that's dramatic, but nothing that has happened has given me trust. I will be phoning at 8am on Thursday to double check. If it doesn't happen, what do I do at this point?
  • jbug
    Thank you. It is a phone assessment. I have 10 pages of notes I have been updating and my mother is going to be there to help me understand what is being said. I just want it over and done with now tbh.
  • jbug
    My assessment for UC has been cancelled yet again. This is apparently because there are hardly any doctors? How do you run a health assessment centre with no doctors  For anyone keeping score, thats 3 cancelled phone assessments, one F2F that got cancelled 5 minutes in, 2 sets of forms, 3 sets of medical information, 4 work coaches and 26 months waiting.
  • jbug
    Thank you. I might just be really tired but I couldn't see anything that matched my situation?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    I think JR104 would be your starting point edited to suit your circumstances.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jbug
  • jbug
    The problem is, this is making me quiet ill. I had a telephone appointment with the physio who told me I am so stressed and my fatigue levels are so high that they can't give me any exercises that would help reduce my pain. I mean, where do you go from there? I just want to curl up in a ball and hibernate until it is sorted.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,100 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jbug - I'm so sorry for what you've been going through, & especially as to how ill this has made you feel. I'm also (as a long-retired physio) more than a little disappointed in your physio's reply. Please try this breathing exercise, which helps reduce stress & pain. Not only did I teach this, I'm now practising the exercises I used to teach to help me cope with chronic pain, so please try: https://www.guysandstthomas.nhs.uk/resources/patient-information/therapies/abdominal-breathing.pdf     you don't need a pillow under your knees, just get into a comfortable position. It does take a little practice, so please give it time. Hoping this helps.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    @jbug I'm so sorry to hear about the pain and anxiety you're experiencing, hopefully chiarieds advice is helpful, is there anything you've found that works particularly well for you to reduce stress and relax? 

Some people find meditation can be quite helpful, or as chiarieds says, just practice deep breathing, they are quite similar. Heat pads, or a bath with Epsom salts could also help, but it does depend on what works best for you.

I hope our other members advice is also equally useful, but if you think we can help with any extra support please do let us know :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • jbug
    @chiarieds thank you. I understand her problem though. I have analysing spondylitis which means I should be stretching daily. However, I am also hypermobile which makes stretching unsupervised not recommended. I also have graves disease, so stress is a big no no. I am also dyspraxia, so don't have very good peripheral awerness. These all added together make it very difficult to treat me. They want to send me on a hypermobility course to help, but I can't do that when my stress and fatigue levels are very high. She has put on a referral to OT which might be able to help with that.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,100 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jbug - I'm sorry to read about all your health issues. I certainly understand about hypermobility, as I have this (the hypermobile type of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome). I hope perhaps you have been able to try the abdominal/diaphragmatic breathing exercise, & that it may help a little to reduce your stress & pain. Please kindly let us know how you get on with everything.
  • jbug
    Hi, I just wanted to let you all know, I actually had a phone assessment today. I was so relieved to get it over with. We talked for an hour and after going through two conditions she said she didn't need anymore because of my pain and fatigue and that I should be on LCWRA, rather then just LCW. She said she could hear how tired I was which was a good thing.
  • jbug
    I have an open complaints, but no action has been taken by UC other then to pass me back to the Jobcentre.

Christmas took an awful lot out of me and I might have been forgetting to do things.

I looked at the letter but it said it needed filling out by a certain organisation, however there are none in my area. 
  • jbug
    Damn. Sometimes my brain is foggy. Lol
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,941 Disability Gamechanger
    jbug said:
    she said she didn't need anymore because of my pain and fatigue and that I should be on LCWRA, rather then just LCW. 
    She should not have said anything to you because it’s not their job to do this. Only a decision maker can make that decision.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jbug
    I realise that, thank you. 
  • jbug
    I just wanted to update, I was awarded LCWRA yesterday. I am still waiting to hear about my complaint. And I am waiting to see if they will backdate to start of my claim. Thank you for listening and giving me a chance to vent.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jbug that's okay, thank you for your update! I'm pleased to hear you were awarded, how are you feeling about that?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.