Awarded LCWRA how much backpay am I entitled to? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Awarded LCWRA how much backpay am I entitled to?

Options
chrisharris22
chrisharris22 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited December 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
I've jus been awarded lcwra i first gave them a sickness in June 10th my assessment was dec 21st jus wondered how much backpay im entitled too if any as im hearing so many people are getting nothing even though been waiting months 

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @chrisharris22

Thanks for reaching out to us. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out.

Unfortunately, LCWRA is not my area of expertise so I am hoping someone else with more knowledge in this area can help you out with this.

I just wanted to respond to you in the meantime to welcome you to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Lcwra is paid from the 4th full assessment period after reporting the condition and providing fit note 

In order to calculate when this would be exactly you need to tell us exact date you reported it and the dates of your assessment periods 

But roughly could be due payment from either Oct or Nov so should be 1 or 2 months backpay but back pay is made as a separate payment and can take a while 
  • chrisharris22
    Options
    My first sickness note  was on July 10th they sent me questionnaire which I sent back  and I am usually  paid the 20th ov each month my assessment was on the 21st ov December so I waited 6 months for an assessment.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,051 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Options
    As you receive payment usually on 20th of each month this means that your assessment periods are 14th-13th of each month.
    There's a full 3 month assessment period waiting time and the extra money is then paid on the 4th month of your claim. Which date did you report your health condition because first you said this..
    I've jus been awarded lcwra i first gave them a sickness in June 10th

Then this.
    My first sickness note  was on July 10th
    If you reported your health condition on June 10th, this would be in your July/August assessment period so your waiting period would be July/Aug, Aug/Sept, Sept/Oct.. LCWRA starts AP 14th Oct to 13th Nov with first payment being 20th November, so they would owe you 2 months money.
    If you reported your health condition on 10th July then your first LCWRA payment would have been 20th December so they owe you 1 month @ £343.63.
    The above advice is assuming you're not claiming UC with a partner that already has the LCWRA element on your claim.
    It often takes them a few weeks to recalculate all the relevant statements so they can calculate how much they owe so any backdated money won't be received before Christmas.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chrisharris22
    Options
    Thanks yes I reported it on the 10th ov July and didn't have my assessment untill the 21st ov December so do they not owe me 2 months money its so confusing it basically took from July till 21st December to even get my assessment i was told id be awarded the highest rate and would get a letter in a week or so.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI @chrisharris22 and welcome to the forum, I hope our members are helping to answer your query. Please do let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

In the meantime I've moved your post into our Universal Credit category, so that it can be more easily found by current and future community members :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,051 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry my mistake, it’s been a long day! 
    Your waiting period will be July/Aug, Aug/Sept, Sept/Oct .. LCWRA starts AP 14th Oct/ 13th Nov with first payment being 20th Nov so 2 months is owed. 
    The letter will tell you within 7 days but mostly it’s a few weeks, especially as Christmas is now just a few days away so there will be closing days next week for 2 bank holidays. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Your assessment periods are 14th-13th of each month.
    You reported your health condition on July 10th which is in your June/July assessment period.
    Your waiting periods are July/Aug, Aug/Sept, Sept/Oct.
    LCWRA is payable for 14th Oct to 13th Nov with first payment being 20th November, so they owe you 2 months of LCWRA. This will be paid separately after UC have calculated it.
    Your January payment on 20th should include the extra amount for the month.

[EDIT - cross posted with poppy]

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.