Worst IAS report possible OVERTURNED — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Worst IAS report possible OVERTURNED

disbutveryabled
disbutveryabled Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi,

I am writing here because I recognise that a lot of people don't return if they get a positive claim, so I am here to share my experiences. 

I have severe ADHD, anxiety, depression and Aspergers Syndrome. My telephone assessment took 1hr and 40mins to complete, where I answered questions that I prepared for well in advance (something which caused me great distress as I did this application unsupported). The IAS report stated that I basically lied about everything, and that ill assumptions (such as acknowledging my eye contact during a telephone-only itnerview) were made in an attempt to palm me off.

I sat down with the IAS report, listed every single descrepency and how I felt I was being discriminated against due to said discrepency, and then expanded on the truth, including where possible proof. I then called PIP and listed all of this (this took over 2hrs on the phone, not including the "mandatory" 50min call wait. It wasn't easy, as someone who was doing this alone, I had to be sure that I wasn't miscommunicating my needs.

Today (21/12/2021) I got a phone call from PIP to state I had been awarded, and that, in particular, the IAS report raised "a lot of eyebrows". It shows to prove that: 1) as someone who suffers from ADHD, in particular, its important to persevere and remain pro-active, even when the depression makes you feel like stalling (most of the time, all it can take is a reconsideration along with the list of discrepencies). 2) you can have ADHD and claim PIP, but you need to be clear in how even little things that mildly annoy you can affect you (these may be little things to you, like things slipping out of your hand due to spasms) but to PIP it could mean you have problems performing a variety of tasks, and 3) if you advocate for your disability, get involved with the Scope community and follow the process to the letter, you will stand a significantly higher chance of winning an award. I wouldn't have been able to do this on my own without the long evenings spent reading on these forums. 

Feel free to ask me anything, I'll stick around and answer questions the best I can.

~Disbutveryabled 

Comments

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Hi,

I am writing here because I recognise that a lot of people don't return if they get a positive claim, so I am here to share my experiences. 

I have severe ADHD, anxiety, depression and Aspergers Syndrome. My telephone assessment took 1hr and 40mins to complete, where I answered questions that I prepared for well in advance (something which caused me great distress as I did this application unsupported). The IAS report stated that I basically lied about everything, and that ill assumptions (such as acknowledging my eye contact during a telephone-only itnerview) were made in an attempt to palm me off.

I sat down with the IAS report, listed every single descrepency and how I felt I was being discriminated against due to said discrepency, and then expanded on the truth, including where possible proof. I then called PIP and listed all of this (this took over 2hrs on the phone, not including the "mandatory" 50min call wait. It wasn't easy, as someone who was doing this alone, I had to be sure that I wasn't miscommunicating my needs.

Today (21/12/2021) I got a phone call from PIP to state I had been awarded, and that, in particular, the IAS report raised "a lot of eyebrows". It shows to prove that: 1) as someone who suffers from ADHD, in particular, its important to persevere and remain pro-active, even when the depression makes you feel like stalling (most of the time, all it can take is a reconsideration along with the list of discrepencies). 2) you can have ADHD and claim PIP, but you need to be clear in how even little things that mildly annoy you can affect you (these may be little things to you, like things slipping out of your hand due to spasms) but to PIP it could mean you have problems performing a variety of tasks, and 3) if you advocate for your disability, get involved with the Scope community and follow the process to the letter, you will stand a significantly higher chance of winning an award. I wouldn't have been able to do this on my own without the long evenings spent reading on these forums. 

Feel free to ask me anything, I'll stick around and answer questions the best I can.

~Disbutveryabled 
    Hello @Disbutveryabled :)          

Thank you for coming on here and for sharing your positive experiences with regards to your PIP application. That's fantastic news and I'm really happy all your research and hard work with regards to appealing payed off. It's great that you advocated for yourself and really highlighted the requirement for gaining PIP support. 

I hope this outcome means you can truly relax now and enjoy the Christmas period. 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • family33
    family33 Community member Posts: 105 Courageous
  • family33
    @disbutveryabled
    Hi ,how long did your MR take ?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @disbutveryabled thanks for sharing your experience, that's great to hear :) I'm sure our members will find it very useful to read if they're experiencing something similar.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • disbutveryabled
    disbutveryabled Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    family33 said:
    @disbutveryabled
    7-8 weeks
  • family33
    family33 said:
    @disbutveryabled
    7-8 weeks
    Thankyou

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.