Bringing my AD to Portsmouth University — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bringing my AD to Portsmouth University

Options
banthecrow
banthecrow Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi, I'm training my dog, Ennis to be an AD. His public access skills are great and we're solidifying tasks. I read the assistance dog statement on Portsmouth uni's website and its the usual "only ADUK dogs and have to have org vest and ID card etc". How do I bring this up with my uni? I'd hope to take Ennis with me from Februaryish depending on how his training is coming along.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @banthecrow thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the forum :)

Can I ask if you are a student studying at the uni, or staff? I just want to check. If you are a student I'd suggest getting in touch with Student Support about the AD statement if you haven't already, and see if you can discuss reasonable adjustments as part of your studies.

I can't speak the university directly, but I'm sure they'd be willing to chat about accommodating your needs if you can make it clear to them that Ennis is essential for you to carry out your studies. It might be worth enquiring if the statement is due for renewal and whether disabled students are consulted about any potential changes or reviews. 

Let us know if you're still unsure about anything and keep us updated with Ennis's training, we'd love to know how he's getting on!  
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • banthecrow
    Options
    @Alex_Scope thank you! I'll definitely bring it up with them and see what they say. I've been in contact with them already for other reasons so I could always bring it up with them again. I'll definitely keep you updated!
  • banthecrow
    Options
    @Alex_Scope sorry I forgot to mention I'm a student!
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's okay @banthecrow please do keep us updated with how you get on. I wish you all the best for a productive conversation, fingers crossed :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness