PIP appeal adjourned. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP appeal adjourned.

bastro
bastro Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi, so I received a letter dated the 15th December, to say my appeal had been adjourned till I have a phone hearing. So now I have two questions.

Is it routine for them to ask for a phone hearing if you wanted it to be paper based? 

The letter also states ' Members of this tribunal are excluded from future involvement in the appeal. ' 

What does this mean? Surely if I was to have a phone hearing then the other members of the tribunal should be present also? 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @bastro

I hope you are well and had a nice Christmas, thanks for posting. 

I am not certain of the answers to the queries you put forward there, but I'm sorry that this has caused confusion. It can be difficult to understand sometimes exactly what is meant by some of what is said during communications about these things.

From having read other posts on here, I'm not sure it's routine for them to go down the route of a telephone hearing in situations like yours, but I'm sure other members will clarify that.

I wish you all the best with the tribunal :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    It's always in your best interests to "attend" a Tribunal hearing. Paper based hearing success rate is very low, less than 10%. It seems like they looked at your case and couldn't make a decision on the evidence they had so they've asked you to attend. Perfectly normal for it to be a different panel for the hearing.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bastro
    bastro Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Thank you for your replies, I hadn't actually sent off what I had wrote, unfortunately I got side tracked by other ailments and wasn't able to complete it. Therefore the tribunal would have only been able to consider what I had already sent prior to the adjourned hearing. 

So I would assume that I stand more of a chance since I'd be able to talk about my issues with the tribunal rather than them reading it. I've read a number of threads on this side so I'm aware of what to expect and I'm also aware that everyone is different. Though personally I'm hoping they don't require a very precise analogy of my issues since it's difficult to articulate that verbally.

Again thank you for your replies, though I will admit I am beyond late to reply to my own threat. I'm pretty useless at keeping track of things. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.